We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traditional pubs

Which Aberdeen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast
Level Contributor
468 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Traditional pubs

Hello

Every 6 months or so myself and 6 40 somethings from Belfast go for a night out in a different city.We have enjoyed Edinburgh and Glasgow visiting traditional/historical pubs. We have plans for Liverpool and are booked for Leeds in April.

Tonight we booked Aberdeen for October.Can anyone tell us the pubs not to be missed in the city centre.Hip and style bars wont cut it for obvoius reasons.I heard The Prince of Wales is good but we would like at least 6 recommendations.

Thanks in anticipation

Mick

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traditional pubs

Under the Hammer, South Silver Street just off Golden Square (behind the Music Hall). Although you might meet a few Irish there and have to listen to Van the Man (if you are very lucky!)

There must be some other real bars in Aberdeen but I'm afraid the plastic places seem to be everwhere. I'm sure there will be some other suggestions for you from folks in the know.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traditional pubs

Hi

I grew up in Aberdeen, but my knowledge is not totally up to date. However, I doubt the following have changed that much:

Ma Camerons is supposed to be the oldest pub in town and dates back to 1746 - (although all the pub isn't that old). It is nice and central in Little Belmont Street and well worth a look.

Another really old pub is a bit of a student haunt - St Machars in Old Aberdeen - it is v. traditional, served good beer - and also an Aberdonian delicacy - stovies.

3. Re: Traditional pubs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:00 pm, May 17, 2016
scotland
Level Contributor
76 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traditional pubs

Hi Downing.

Ditto the aformentioned posters replys but would add the Illicit Still [Broad street just off Union street]and for a real Traditional experience The Grill [so trad they only put ladies loos in a few short years ago]on Union Street.Bad news for fifporter though,the stovies at the St Machar[my local]stopped a couple of years ago.

Dave

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traditional pubs

Oh no - no more stovies! Definitely bad news...

Get answers to your questions about Aberdeen