We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need to go from Aberdeen to Glasgow Airport-need advice

Richmond Hill...
Level Contributor
24 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Need to go from Aberdeen to Glasgow Airport-need advice

My family is travelling in Scotland and we will be in Aberdeen when my niece (23 years old) has to head home. She will need to get to Glasgow Airport for a 10 a.m. flight on Aug. 21st. What is the best way to send her? Should she go the night before and stay near the airport? She is okay with travelling on her own.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need to go from Aberdeen to Glasgow Airport-need advice

She will need to be at the airport by around 0800hrs, possibly earlier if it's a long haul flight. Even on a weekday it would be too early to travel from Aberdeen by public transport; on Aug 21 (which is a Sunday) there are no early morning services. Best option for your neice would be to travel to Glasgow on Saturday evening and stay the night at a Glasgow airport hotel very near the terminal. There are regular trains from Aberdeen to Glasgow Queen Street station; from there airport buses depart every few minutes. Given that travel date and time is fixed there are some big savings to be made on train fares by booking an advance single ticket a few weeks ahead of travel; this site accepts overseas payment cards and does not charge any booking fees: www.scotrail.co.uk/content/tickets-offers

Collection of pre-booked tickets can be made from ticket machines at Aberdeen or many other UK train stations.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need to go from Aberdeen to Glasgow Airport-need advice

Assuming that you mean flight departure at 1000, she should be planning to be at the airport at least two hours before that, to allow for the possibility of delays en route, more if it is a long-distance flight. The first train leaves at 0630, which will get you to the airport at 0945, so that doesn't work. It will take three hours or so to get from Aberdeen to Glasgow by road, so a taxi starting at about 0500 is viable but expensive.

It looks like your niece would be best to travel to Glasgow the night before. There are plenty of hotels in the city centre and several at the airport.

p.s. I hadn't noticed that the date was a Sunday - well spotted, HP!

Edited: 4:13 pm, May 15, 2011
Richmond Hill...
Level Contributor
24 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need to go from Aberdeen to Glasgow Airport-need advice

I wondered if maybe she would need to head to Glasgow on the Saturday night. Our plan was to do a couple of days in Aberdeen and then head to Edinburgh. I will re-think our plans. Thanks for all the advice.

4. Re: Need to go from Aberdeen to Glasgow Airport-need advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 18, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Aberdeen