We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pick up and drop off @ college street / union square parking

Which Aberdeen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Aberdeen, United...
1 post
Save Topic
pick up and drop off @ college street / union square parking

hello

i used the college street level 6 parking to pick up my wife who came through the aberdeen railway station, as i noted when i entered my car registration number was photographed by CCTV and on exit as well.

on inquire to the help desk they told me no need to pay if i leave the car park within 15 mins of my entry, can someone please clarify is it free to enter and exit within 15 mins i.e. to pick up someone and drove the car within 15 mins??

other people standing near the pay point says its not free!!!

now i am confuse what is right can someone please provide some guidance plz

regards

Jani

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,771 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pick up and drop off @ college street / union square parking

Well, I haven't a clue either and I think the new parking arrangements for the railway station are completely inadequate! And of course, the bus station car park doesn't even exist!

I went in one evening recently to pick someone up ( was there longer than 15 mins as the train was late) and I just stopped at the entry level. Sitting watching, I could see that the barrier at the level just below was raised and everyone seemed free to leave without paying - is it free in the evening?

There are not nearly enough spaces. I've been in with not a space in sight, and a train to catch - not much use! When you don't live in the city sometimes you have no option but take the car to the station.

And as for returning to that car park at night via the urine stinking stair - wouldn't dare try the lift!

Used to be able to pick up in the new taxi area, and I have sat there so often listening to the most disgusting, foul mouthed taxi drivers shouting and swearing... what a poor first impression of the city they must give visitors. i have never heard anything like it in taxi ranks anywhere else.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pick up and drop off @ college street / union square parking

You don't get free parking at all at Union Square - it is £1 between 6pm and 5am.

You are probably better picking someone up in the British Rail part of the College St car park (head down instead of up) as you get the first 30 mins free although its £4 if you go past that!

TBH if you are picking someone up from the station, you are as well to wait nearby (say round Hadden St/Green) until they've got off the train/bus then pick them up right outside the glass frontage on Guild Street (where the old railway car park was) - as long as you aren't stopping for more than a few mins you can get away with it.

Edited: 5:15 pm, August 20, 2010
Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,771 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pick up and drop off @ college street / union square parking

Thanks ne quine - but it's the College Street car park we're talking about -well I am any way!

Right enough I went down and got out without paying because the barrier was up - that's why I was wondering if it's free in the evening? What stops everyone going out this way no matter how long they've parked?

How does it work through the day, how do you get out if you've been there less than 30 mins, without paying? Do you take a ticket?

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pick up and drop off @ college street / union square parking

Yes it's the College St car park I am talking about too. Yes when you go into the railway park you get a ticket which gives you 30 min free parking so you can pick someone up. On the way out you put the ticket into the machine at the barrier and it should lift! I've only ever used the car park for when I have been parking for real as I'm taking a train somewhere. If I am picking/dropping someone up I use the bit in front on Union Square - as long as you are quick it's no problem.

Edited: 7:25 pm, August 21, 2010
Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
71 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pick up and drop off @ college street / union square parking

Just to confuse matters more.... i thought it was 15 mins free. I've certainly parked for free and submitted my ticket into the machine to lift the barrier, but each time i'd only been in for about 5 mins.

A word to the wise... check the time that your parking ticket has been stamped with, not just college st car park but anywhere. I recently parked in Union sq at approx 6.20 and it was only when I went to pay that i realised it had been time stamped about 4 hours before I actually entered the car park!

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pick up and drop off @ college street / union square parking

I've only parked at Union Squre (surface parking) a few times but (so far) I haven't had anything like you experienced.

Did you get it cleared up? The CCTV of you coming in should have cleared that up easily enough I would have thought?

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,771 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: pick up and drop off @ college street / union square parking

Okay, I've just checked National Rail website and it says you get 20 mins free! Not so easy to time it that precisiely when you're coming in from out of town to pick someone up, so you arrive a little early only to find the train/ bus has been delayed!

Also worth knowing the car park is shut from 1am - 5am!

Can't find any web site to clarify how the non-railway station floors work. Don't know if the other floors are free at night or maybe the barrier was just broken the night I was in and it was permanently up.

The National Rail website also states they have188 spaces, which really isn't a lot - certainly no reasonable guarantee of finding a space to park if catching a train during the day.

What a hassle with wrongly printed ticket - not what you need.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: pick up and drop off @ college street / union square parking

Cheapskates trimming it by 10 mins!

Wow I didn't know it had 188 spaces yet it wouldn't be the first time i've ended up down in the very bottom floor even when entering about 9am!

Here is where you find out the info re the parking at Union Square - www.unionsquareaberdeen.com/website/car.aspx. Interesting there is no mention at all of the free 15 mins.

9. Re: pick up and drop off @ college street / union square parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, February 20, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Aberdeen