We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whisky Tours from Aberdeen

Which Aberdeen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Midlands
1 post
Save Topic
Whisky Tours from Aberdeen

Please, does anyone know of a coach company which has short (1 - 2 days) whisky tours starting in Aberdeen? I don't fancy driving while tasting a dram or two!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whisky Tours from Aberdeen

Here are some contact details for Grampian Tourist Board - they should be able to help.

Aberdeen and Grampian Tourist Board

Exchange House, 26/28 Exchange Street, Aberdeen, AB11 6PH, Tel: (01224) 288828, Fax: (01224) 288838

Email: info@agtb.org

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
3,749 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whisky Tours from Aberdeen

Have a look at this link http://www.maltwhiskytrail.com/

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whisky Tours from Aberdeen

Gordon & McPhail has a shop in Elgin that have a great range. Here is the link

www.gordonandmacphail.com/ob_retailShop.html

They may also be able to help with a tour. Elgin is a train trip away from Aberdeen. Websites lists distilleries too.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,428 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Whisky Tours from Aberdeen

have just come back from a trip visiting the speyside disitlleries

we based ourselves for 3 days at the Highlader inn in Craigellachie(about 14 miles from Elgin) from there we walked parts of the speyside way and managed to visit about 14 distilleries with out using the car (we visited another 7 with the car).not all the distilleries are open to the public but many are .the longest walk we did was 6 miles we took a taxi cab to adistillary on part of the speyside way and walked to Aberlour and the got a local bus back to Craigellachie.if you want more info from me ,reply to the posting and i will dig out all the info i can.

Alan

Conwy.North Wales
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whisky Tours from Aberdeen

tourist information

www.aberdeen-grampain.com

Glen Grant Distillery

www.chivas.com

Glen Moray Distillery

www.glenmoray.com

Speyside Scotland...
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Whisky Tours from Aberdeen

You might like to try aboutspeyside.com if there are six or less of you.

F.A.O Unclegus, Allan sorry our paths never crossed as the Highlander is my local and BTW as of next week under new management. Glad to see you got a good few distilleries under your belt. Maybe next time we'll meet up.

Roy

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,428 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Whisky Tours from Aberdeen

hi Roy,we had a great time at the Highlander,had tours of Macallan,and Aberlour,but sampled lots of whisky ,bought a bottle of Craigellachie !5 y o ,Mortla15 y o,Balvenie doublewood,and abottle of Glenfarclas.Spent a small fortune on things like polo shirts and whisky tumblers.It was a fantastic weekend,i was there with my brother and a mate, no women to stop us having a good time .We will be back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

on the way back we visited a few distilleries and had a tour of Edradour the smallest distillery in Scotland .I bought a bottle of the unchilled filtered whisky,and it is superb the way whisky tasted 150 years ago ,try some.

Alan

Portland, Oregon
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Whisky Tours from Aberdeen

Unclegus and others,

Have a walk planned for 19 Sept -29 Sept on the Way, moving from Buckie to Aviemore with side trips to Dufftown and Tomintoul. I'm 58 and doing it myself.Most exciting doing the planning. Guess I got lucky because I managed a room in Dufftown on the opening night of the Autumn Whisky Festival!

Would love to get suggestions from any and all. Have booked B&Bs along the way-averaging about 10 miles per day. Have just begun looking into distilleries-appears that there might be 10 or 12 with visiting hours on the route. Let's see- 2 visits per day, 10 miles....hmmm.

Anyway-any tips would be welcome!

Thanks

Ramsay

Speyside Scotland...
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Whisky Tours from Aberdeen

Hello Ramsay,

So you're doing the whole Speyside Way including the side trips to Dufftown & Tomintoul. The Dufftown spur is easy as it is on the old railway line. There is however a very small section that has been washed away and they are not intending fixing it again but it is passable with care. The route is nice and flat until Fochabers then it is more forest trail/road/pavement and you gain a wee bit altitude around Ben Aigan to Craigellachie. Where you must call in pasted the Highlander Inn my local. By the way, is just under new ownership today the 16th of June 2005.

The Tomintoul spur is more over the hills and not flat like on the old railway line from Craigellachie to Ballindalloch old station which is a nice & easy. The new ranger/visitor centre will be open by then at the old Aberlour station.

When it comes visiting distilleries you'll land lucky with the Whisky festival in Dufftown as more of the distilleries will be open to the public but you may need to book tours! Also keep in mind it takes a wee while to tour each distillery which will really eat into your day and many are further away from the Speyside Way than you might think. So you'll be lucky to get in two visits per day & 10 miles :) I would say two or three visits to a good distilleries is more than enough on a visit to Speyside. The Macallan (one mile from Craigellachie up the B9102) is of course one of the best malts ;) they do a 1/2 hour free tour with a dram or you can pay for the more detailed tasting tours where you get 5 or 6 drams for ��15 but takes about 1 1/2 hours. The Aberlour distillery tour is ��7.50 and you get 6 drams take anything from 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours and you will need to book at that time of year due to the fact that it is the whisky festival. If it's tastings of whisky you want and not have to tour round each distillery production process then you need to book a tasting with Fiona at the Whisky shop in Dufftown I think they cost around ��15 but well worth it.

Hope the midges have died down by then, they are very late in appearing this year due to the cold night we have had right up until the end of May. Only this month have I had problems but that makes me think they'll last longer into late September :( I really hope not! take what works as a deterrent for you something with deet in it. Or Avon Skin So Soft can help if you put enough on, the midges just skid off :) If there is a wee bit breeze or bright sunshine that also keeps them away.

Have fun and I sure you'll love the trail I think it is really good as you see the coast at the begining all the way through the farm land and then the river valley with lush green trees with visits to villages etc. and then all the way up on to the moors and the hills and mountains of the Cairngorms at Aviemore.

Any questions just ask.

Roy

Portland, Oregon
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Whisky Tours from Aberdeen

Roy,

Thanks for the bit on the Way. I think maybe we should arrange to meet at your local for a pint or two-maybe you can introduce me to some of the other Speysiders.

By the way, should I be expecting rain or merely clouds? and what about temps?

Cheers.

Ramsay

Get answers to your questions about Aberdeen