We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luxury accommodation in Royal Deeside

Boulder
Level Contributor
169 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Luxury accommodation in Royal Deeside

Some of you may have seen an earlier query and that lead to a wonderful recommendation which was unfortunately unavailable for our June dates. It did help me refine our desired location however so I'm asking again in the Aberdeenshire Forum.....

I'd love some recommendations for particularly nice places (I know that's subjective) to stay in or close to Royal Deeside. I'm thinking of high end B&Bs or small country house hotels. Good evening dining in the area (not necessarily part of the lodging) is a big plus. One of our goals is to be able to enjoy both the Malt Whisky Trail and the Castle Trail - this location seems to provide good driving access to both.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Much thanks

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
9,985 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luxury accommodation in Royal Deeside

Maybe you should tell us what wasn't available so you won't keep getting recommendations for it!

W x

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
9,985 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luxury accommodation in Royal Deeside

cardhucountryhouse.co.uk/speyside-accommodat…

This one sounds right up your (whisky) street!

Boulder
Level Contributor
169 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luxury accommodation in Royal Deeside

Glendavan House looked absolutely perfect but it's booked for our days. I thought of adding their name to my earlier posting but can't go back and edit so this will have to suffice.

Crathie
Level Contributor
884 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Luxury accommodation in Royal Deeside

Yes, staying here on Royal Deeside would certainly give you good access to both the Whisky and Castle Trails.

Sorry my first recommendation came to nothing, but you could try this place instead http://heughheadmill.co.uk/

Heugh Head Mill has only been open for a year or so, but they have good reviews tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g190816-d3263…

I also have another establishment in mind, but I am not sure if they are still trading, so will send you a PM.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
16,799 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luxury accommodation in Royal Deeside

Unfortunately the place recommended by Woodybank is in Moray not Aberdeenshire For Deeside hotels you could try the Craigendarroch. This is the Hotel Princess Diana used to take the boys to because it has a pool and Balmoral does not. The Hotel used to close the pool to the public so Diana and the boys could use it privately. We have stayed at this Hotel

higvc.co.uk/resorts/scotland/craigendarroch

We have stayed at the Marcliffe many times, last time was last month, lovely old house full of antiques and old furniture

fhttp://marcliffe.com/

Also stayed at Marycluter House Hotel last month

maryculterhousehotel.com/aberdeen-hotel-guide

These two Hotels are on the road to Balmoral but not as close as some.

You might also like this place in Banchory.

http://www.raemoir.com/

Crathie
Level Contributor
884 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Luxury accommodation in Royal Deeside

The Craigendarroch Hotel is now undergoing a major refurbishment and when this is complete, will offer luxury suites to complement the timeshare lodges in the grounds. When the hotel was open, I would say it was anything but high end accommodation :-(

However high end accommodation and dining can be found in Ballater at The Green Inn http://www.green-inn.com/ which although closed at the moment, should be open once again by the time the OP gets to this part of the world.

Reviews tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g190738-d1939…

Also The Darroch Learg offers high end accommodation and fine dining http://www.darrochlearg.co.uk/

Reviews tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g190738-d1939…

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
9,985 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luxury accommodation in Royal Deeside

Darroch Learg was the one I was trying to remember the name of Sownack - thanks! I agree about the Craigendarroch - ordinary to say the least but maybe the refurb will help

Yep - got my Geography Higher thanks F.J....I did realise that the hotel I mentioned was in Moray but I thought the whisky connection and all the rooms named after certain ones was too good to pass up. ;-))

WoodyBARK - grrrr!!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
16,799 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luxury accommodation in Royal Deeside

When the Craigendarroch opened it was described as a luxury Hotel and we stayed there many years ago at an Oil Company Dinner and it was a lovely garden room that we had. However, reading the reports on T.A. It seems that people do still love the place. Reports such as this one from an American.

-----------------------------------------

We have been frequent visitors to the Craigendarroch Resort over the last 24 years. We stay in one of the many lodges in the grounds which are amongst the best of their type outside the USA. Americans who visit self catering establishments in Europe must think that they have only got a closet compared with what can be had back home. But here the accommodation is of the highest standard and well maintained. Lots of facilities on site, Ballater is down the road and a destination of worth in it's own right. Strath Dee makes a transition from the City of Aberdeen to the east, through rolling countryside into the Grampain Highlands and Craigendarroch is well placed to esplore the lot! The lodges themselves make an excellent home from home, with views and fresh Highland air that have to be experienced to be fully appreciated.

Edited: 3:16 pm, February 28, 2013
Crathie
Level Contributor
884 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Luxury accommodation in Royal Deeside

The Craigendarroch Hotel in its heyday was very smart indeed, but in the last few years it had its Visit Scotland star rating lowered because standards had dropped. Eventually it seemed there were no stars at all :-(

The hotel side of the Craigendarroch is now closed and a refurb is taking place, although the timeshare lodges are still up and running. But I don't think a timeshare lodge is what the OP is asking for.

Edited: 6:13 pm, February 28, 2013
10. Re: Luxury accommodation in Royal Deeside

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, December 14, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Aberdeenshire
Recent Conversations