We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to cover in 2 days in Scotland

bay area
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Places to cover in 2 days in Scotland

Our family of 4 ( 2 adults and 2 kids - almost 4 yrs and 8 yrs) are visiting UK for a week. We want to spend 2 days in Scotland.

I have a couple of questions:

1.Which place should we go in Scotland (from London)?

2. What are the places that we can cover in two days?

3.Are the sleeper trains easiest (and time saving) way to get to Scotland?

We will be visiting mid-september. Open to any suggestion/ideas.

Edited: 3:24 pm, July 27, 2010
Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to cover in 2 days in Scotland

That really is a whistlestop tour. With the limits you have set yourself sleeper train is probably the best bet. You can get them to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Inverness, Aberdeen or Fort William (plus some intermediate stations). Choose 1 place to stop and spend both days exploring from this base.

When are you intending to visit? The sooner you book your tickets the cheaper they are.

How are you intending to get around - public transport, day tours or hire a car? This could begin to limit your choice to Edinburgh, Glasgow or Inverness. Have a look at Undiscovered Scotland website to find out possible things to do and see in each of these places before making up your mind.

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/edinburgh/edinbur…

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/glasgow/glasgow/i…

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/inverness/inverne…

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to cover in 2 days in Scotland

Firstly, don't try to do too much! Taking the Sleeper from London Euston to Edinburgh is a good idea, see www.scotrail.co.uk (and follow the links to Caledonian Sleeper). It's best to book online and collect your tickets from a ticket machine at any main station in Great Britain (you will need your credit card and the booking reference number).

Given the short length of time, how about basing yourself in Edinburgh and seeing the sights of the city? An alternative could be to take the Sleeper to Inverness or Fort William and explore a bit of the Highlands by car. Given that you're travelling with children, the Sleeper train will probably be a great experience for them (I have happy childhood memories....)

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,053 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to cover in 2 days in Scotland

2 days?

I'd just stick to Edinburgh. Plenty there to keep you amused/interested. Its a beautiful city and has loads of open space, castles, museums, etc.

bay area
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to cover in 2 days in Scotland

Ok. That was very helpful. I have some more qs based on the response

1.If I make it 3 days will it help?

2. if I make my base stay as Aberdeen i can cover one other place in 3 days?

3.How soon do I need to book train tickets (since we are visiting in Sep)?

Thanks a ton for helping with this.

Edited: 4:50 pm, July 27, 2010
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,053 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to cover in 2 days in Scotland

Usually cheapest train tickets go on sale about 12 weeks before the date of travel.

Try making some enquiries / dummy bookings on a site like www.eastcoast.co.uk to get a feel for how variable prices are.

Asking what place to go in Scotland is probably a bit like me asking where to go in California? Its a whole country, so it depends on what you feel is important to see.

Is there anything that has prompted your family to visit Scotland? Castles? History? Scenery? Whisky? monsters?

www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk or www.visitscotland.com for ideas.

bay area
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to cover in 2 days in Scotland

Ask me anytime about California. I can come up with a list for one day visit,10 days or even a year...LOL.

I get your point though.

Yes Castles and Whisky are the top reasons to see Scotland. I will look up the sites you have mentioned.

Thanks again.

Edited: 8:01 pm, July 27, 2010
Scotland
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to cover in 2 days in Scotland

Aberdeen is not the best idea - while it is a lovely city it is not near anything else. Sticking to the central belt - Edinburgh / Glasgow / Stirling would be best IMO - however, you could spend 3 days in either edinburgh or glasgow!

My advice would be 2 days edinburgh, 1 Glasgow......I have been to CA and the comparison I would give is SF / LA! 2 sides of Scotland! Train between them is 1 hour.

While pricing train, I would price flights too - we recently flew edinburgh to london as it cost 1/2 the price return for us both as it would have for one of us on the sleeper. Try Easyjet.

Enjoy your trip!

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,982 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to cover in 2 days in Scotland

On a 3 day trip I would stay in Edinburgh.

I wouldn't up sticks and move to Glasgow for one night. It's only 45 minutes by train so if you have a burning wish to visit you can do it that way.

Why spend all your time in cities though? How about 2 days seeing Edinburgh and one day on an organised tour of the highlands?

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
11,725 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places to cover in 2 days in Scotland

Regarding Auds advise about flying, that may be so but you have also got to factor in the cost of getting from/to the airports, not so much a problem at Edinburgh as it is only 20 minutes outside the city and can be as cheap as £1.30 to get to by bus, but Londons Airports can be up to an hour on a train away with Luton and Stansted the ones the budget airlines fly to being around £15 for a train, add to that the time you have to be there and the security not to mention the hefty luggage charges and it all adds up, the sleeper or even day train is centre to centre.

Also you havn't said but are you returning to London to fly back out, we do have not bad links with the States from both Glasgow and Edinburgh if you care to think of that.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
3,013 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Places to cover in 2 days in Scotland

Very similar thread here.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186485-i107-k38…