We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help please

Minneapolis
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Itinerary help please

We are going to Scotland for our honeymoon the end of Aug. and I'd love some help in planning where to go. We are renting a car and driving ourselves around. While we plan to play a lot of ear and go where people recommend while we are there, I'd like some general suggestions as to my sample itinerary. It may be way too ambitious! Please let me know if something like this is doable, and if not, which places to skip this time around. I'd also love any suggestions as to which of the towns to stay in overnight. Thanks in advance.

8/24 - arrive in Glasgow late at night

8/25 - sightseeing in Glasgow

8/26 - see Loch Lomond and Glen Coe (possibly stay the night in Ballachulish)

8/27 - see Oban/Isle of Mull

8/28 - Isle of Skye

8/29 - Isle of Skye

8/30 - Loch Ness/ Inverness

9/1 - Spey Valley/Pitlochry (Glenfiddich distillery)

9/2 Glamis (Glasis Castle)/St. Andrews

9/3 - Edinburgh

9/4 - leave Edinburgh and go to Glasgow to catch evening flight to Iceland

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
637 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help please

First, congratulations and good luck! Secondly, I'd say you might be a bit too ambitious in moving every or every other day (and don't forget, 31 August- an extra day?). Lastly, at least for now, I'd suggest taking another look at your map or a site like: viamichelin.co.uk/viamichelin/…MaHomePage.htm

to plan your routing. I think you might be back-tracking or bouncing around. Your overall itinerary isn't really flawed, but I'd suggest Glasgow past Loch Lomond to Oban/Mull; then Isle of Skye to, maybe, Glen Coe and Loch Ness/Inverness...the rest would be fine, again, except for settling in at no more than four spots (or 3 with some day-tripping) in your 11 days.

I now have had a fair amount of experience traveling in Scotland, but you'll probably also get some great comments and advice from "locals" to confirm or disagree with my opinion.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
8,289 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help please

The most practical order is Glasgow - Loch Lomond - Oban/Mull - Glencoe - Skye and then as your original route.

However, I think this is probably a bit too 'whistle-stop' for comfort, as the first respondent has suggested. For example you can't do justice to Oban and Mull (a large and wonderful island, with slow single-track roads) in one day.

I suggest you lose one or two places and allow yourself A bit more time for what remains. Personally I'd skip Loch Ness and Inverness (Loch Ness is a bit overrated, IMHO - and you won't see any monsters, that's for sure!).

So how about something like:

24-25/8 Glasgow

26/8 drive to Oban via Loch Lomond. Cross to Mull in the evening

27-28/8 Mull and Iona

29/8 Drive to Skye via Tobermory or Fishnish ferry (i.e. not back via Oban) and ferry Mallaig - Skye

30-31/8 Skye

1/9 drive from Skye to Pitlochry via Skye Bridge and Glen Shiel

2-4/9 as your original itinerary

The three-night stays on Mull and Skye would give you time to unpack and explore. For ferries, visit www.calmac.co.uk.

Whatever, you'll have a great trip!

Minneapolis
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help please

Thank you so much for your help.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
11,304 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help please

As "Dhmellor" points out - August has 31 days...just in case you had missed counting it!

Macduff, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help please

Hi Murphy and congratulations on your forthcoming marriage.

Here's my suggestions. I've put travel times in for you

Arrive Glasgow drive to Loch Lomond 35 mins

2 days in Balloch on Loch Lomond (That's the village I stay in)

Day 1 : Train to Glasgow 40 mins

Day 2 : Drive to Stirling 40 mins stopping en route at Callander

Day 3 : Drive to Edinburgh 1.25hrs

Day 4 : Edinburgh

Day 5 : Drive to St Andrews 1.5hrs

Day 6 : Drive to Pitlochry 1.5 hrs then onto Inverness 2hrs stopping en route at Blair Atholl if you wish

Day 7 : Inverness

Day 8 : Drive to Skye 1.75hrs

Day 9 : Skye

Day 10 : Drive to Oban 3hrs. Go see McCraigs Folly and maybe a 1hr boat trip out to Seal Island

Day 11 : Oban (ferry trip to see the islands of Mull, Staffa and Iona

Day 12 : Drive to Glasgow 1.5hrs

This is purely a suggestion. You want to have time to spend in places and get a good look about without being exausted. With this route you see as much as you can but using the time wisely. I think I managed to get everywhere in that you mentioned.No point in ending up in Edinburgh when your flying out from Glasgow.

What ever you decide please have a fantastic honeymoon. Enjoy your time here in Scotland. If you do come to Balloch please let me know. I would love to meet you and have glass of wine .

6. Re: Itinerary help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, October 02, 2009