We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Edinburgh to Inverness May 28, 2018

Denver, Co
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Train from Edinburgh to Inverness May 28, 2018

I have been watching the train ticket prices on both National Rail and Virgin East Coast for Edinburgh to Inverness Monday May 28. I even signed-up for the alert that lets you know when the less expensive fares are released. With the exception of the 16:34 train (I did get an alert about 2 weeks ago) the fares have remained the same and are "anytime single" at 44.70 UK each. From looking at earlier dates, I thought I would be able to get them cheaper. The point at which the fares seem to change is May19-May20. Am I still too early (approx, 9 weeks out), or have all the cheaper fares been snatched up? Or is that what the fare is during the warmer season?

19 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4,048 posts
1. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Inverness May 28, 2018

Bank holiday weekend so fares won't be getting any lower unfortunately.

Denver, Co
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Inverness May 28, 2018

I looked at 1-2 days later and it is still the higher price. How long does the bank holiday last?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
4,331 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Inverness May 28, 2018

i am not so sure if the Scotrail Advance Purchase tickets are on sale yet for late May.

Give it another week and check the Scotrail site..

You could also look at Scottish Citylink coaches.Their Summer fares are also not available yet.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Inverness May 28, 2018

The new summer timetable is released on 19 May but it is yet to be 100% confirmed, which is why Scotrail are yet to offer Advance tickets beyond the 19 May.

May 28 is still a long way off so no need to panic. Keep checking every few days to see when the Advance tickets become available, which might be much nearer to May 28 than you expect. They WILL go on sale eventually.

This is a news article about the timetable delays

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43168977

Denver, Co
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Inverness May 28, 2018

Thanks to both of you for your answers. I looked at buses too. On megabus it says fares are only available up to May 20. Which seems to coincide with the rail prices as well. I have the same issue with Inverness to Glasgow trains on June 7, the price has not changed to any fare lower than the "anytime single".

Glasgow
Level Contributor
4,331 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Inverness May 28, 2018

You could also look at Megabus who offer cheap fares in conjunction with Citylink

They are also not up to 28 May yet.

Denver, Co
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Inverness May 28, 2018

Thanks to all of you, I knew I would get good answers HERE! I have been a little panicked thinking I missed the window of opportunity because I was past the 12 week mark. I will check each day (trains and bus) until I see some movement in pricing.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
13,924 posts
14 reviews
8. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Inverness May 28, 2018

First of all there is only one Virgin Train per day, the 16:34, that’s the one that’s showing £10:30, all others are ScotRail Trains at £44:70.

If you are happy to travel on the 16:34 at that price, then book now! that fare will only go up.

Otherwise give it another week and you should see the fares coming down.

As we said to another poster recently who was having the same dilemma, just keep checking every day, sure enough he did and got the cheap fare!

Also I would use ScotRails own site.

Edited: 10:25 am, March 23, 2018
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
46,071 posts
81 reviews
9. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Inverness May 28, 2018

This is a bit strange as tickets should be available up until mid June. I doubt it is because of the bank holiday either. 7th May is also a bank holiday and advance fares are available then.

I think they have just not released fares yet. Maybe something to do with the timetable as said. Maybe contact Scotrail on Facebook or twitter

https://www.facebook.com/ScotRail

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
46,071 posts
81 reviews
10. Re: Train from Edinburgh to Inverness May 28, 2018

So I contacted Scotrail and indeed post #4 is absolutely spot on. This is their reply (within 2 minutes I have to say)

Hi Ron, there are changes to the availability of advance tickets at the moment due to the upcoming timetable change. Best to check for updates on the website. More info here: nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/18475…

Reply to: Train from Edinburgh to Inverness May 28, 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted