We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth spending a whole day visiting Derry?

Palm Harbor, Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Is it worth spending a whole day visiting Derry?

We will be staying in Coleraine for one night in mid-March. We planned on visiting Giants Causeway, check in to our hotel in Coleraine then head to Derry in the evening for a few hours. I'm wondering if we should wait and spend the whole next day there. We had planned to climb Knockarea that day instead. Advice? Thanks so much .BTW we will have our own car.

Derry
3 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Is it worth spending a whole day visiting Derry?

It is definitely worth spending a whole day in Derry, obviously I am biased being from Derry! After 12 years in business we have collated the most popular tourist attractions that our guests have enjoyed and have the list on our website davincishotel.com/See---Do/Visitor-Attractio… Another wee gem to enjoy is the Wee Blue Boat, this boat trip takes you up the River Foyle under the bridges and is really good price...it is only new this tourist attraction but have heard such good reports from it, in fact some of our staff have taken their kids and they have loved it! Hope this helps and enjoy your time in the city!

liverpool
Level Contributor
523 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Is it worth spending a whole day visiting Derry?

I have just returned from a weekend in Derry - you can def fill up a whole day in Derry - its a unique city - a walk on the walls, over the peace bridge, the bogside mural walk and free derry museum took us a whole day. It depends if you are interested in Derry's history or not. I normally avoid museums but the Free Derry one was extremely thought provoking and moving.

Edited: 3:31 am, April 14, 2012
North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,389 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Is it worth spending a whole day visiting Derry?

Thanks for the feedback nittynora:)

San Diego
2 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Is it worth spending a whole day visiting Derry?

I Arriving in Belfast City Airport on Sept 4th, have confirmed hired car. Interested in maximizing our time in Castlerock - Staying at a friend's place there, have hired a car , so we can drive to "be sure to see" places such as Giant's Causeway. Please advise on other sites -we have 4 full days to explore and enjoy Northern Ireland! Departing early am from Belfast thru London before transatlantic flight home to California!

San Diego
2 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Is it worth spending a whole day visiting Derry?

Please advise where to shop in Castlerock for groceries and best souveneir ideas from NI

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,389 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Is it worth spending a whole day visiting Derry?

Cherbear9 - can you start a new thread please to ask these questions as they are "lost" here!!

Castlerock is a fairly small town with no big supermarket - although it has a couple of small ones. For a major grocery shop which would be cheaper, you'll need to go to one of the bigger supermarkets in Coleraine - Asda on the ring road heading from Coleraine towards Portrush from Lodge Road Roundabout, Sainsbury's at the Riverside Retail Park (quite handy if you go to Castlerock via the Greenhall Highway) or Tesco (in Coleraine town centre so you need to drive through the town's one way system for it.

Where to to in NI?

1 full day for the Causeway Coast and glens

http://www.causewaycoastandglens.com/

1 full day for Belfast. You can drive but parking in the city centre is expensive so either get a bus (slow but less stress) or make sure you have a couple of carparks in your GPS. I prefer Northside park and ride but it can be difficult to get into on a weekday so then I use Laganside multi-storey. High Street carpark is also fairly easy to use. These are good for getting you back onto the M2.

I would suggest 1/2 day Derry city then in the afternoon drive on to the Ulster-American Folk Park outside Omagh. That would be a busy day - but I think worth doing.

Then for your fourth day - really up to you what you want to see. I would consider maybe taking the ferry from nearby Magilligan to Donegal. Just make sure your car rental allows you to cross the border

www.loughfoyleferry.com/foyle_times.html

This crosses to Greencastle and leaves you in a good position to explore the Inishowen Peninsula .

www.donegaldirect.com/driving_route.aspx…

Hope that gives you a few ideas to get started!

There are other options - Glenveagh National Park and area (Dunlewey Centre, Doon Fort, wll and rock) and Grianan Ailigh also make a good day trip.

I have included Donegal as to be honest it's closer to you in Castlerock than driving to the likes of the Fermanagh Lakelands or Mournes.

But have a look on this website as pretty much anywhere in NI is do-able as a day trip!

http://www.discovernorthernireland.com/

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
871 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Is it worth spending a whole day visiting Derry?

Getting the train is another option for getting to Belfast - more comfortable than the bus, and less hassle than the car.

Your only problem at the moment is that the line from Coleraine to Derry is closed, so you couldn't get on at Castlerock - you'd have to drive into Coleraine (or get a bus) and get on the train there.

18. Re: Is it worth spending a whole day visiting Derry?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 04, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Derry