We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay with 11 yo daughter

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay with 11 yo daughter

My husband, daughter and I willl be visiting Derry for a 3-day weekend at the end of June. We'll be renting a car for those few days. I keep going back and forth about where to stay. I think a B&B would be nice so we could get a more homey, family experience. I'd especially like my daughter to have a chance to enjoy the Derry people since this is her first trip out of our country (US).

I've looked at the Rose Park, Abbey, Amore, Bogside. I think these are smaller and more intimate. Then some are a little more out of town - Caw Cottage, Arkle and the larger Beechwood Country House. I can't decide if we want to be walking distance (easy walking distance - my daughter isn't an endurance walker) - or figure it's worth being a teeny bit further out to get a prettier, more unique place to stay.

The Derry self-catering apartments are also possible.

My other considerations are that - unfortunately - we're all bad sleepers. So we'd like either 2 separate rooms (separate for my daughter - which would mean it would have to be adjoining if it's in a large place - or an adjacent room if it's in a smaller B&B with just a few rooms). we'd also like tv (I could do without it, but my husband wants it) - and private bathroom (ensuite bathroom). And rooms that are quiet - my husband is concerned that B&B's will have paper thin walls and either his sniffing will disturb others, or other's comings and goings will disturb us.

I've also thought of hotels - although I think we'll be missing some real charm if we do that. Perhaps some hotels have adjoining rooms or suites so my daughter could be in a connecting room? Particular hotels I'm thinking of are the Ramada DaVinci - maybe Everglades.

For all these accomodations, I know that location near a noisy pub or nightspot can be problematic. I don't know that this is any different in an hotel or B&B.

So given those considerations, I would love some recommendations for where to stay in Derry.

Thank you.

Lynn.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
407 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Where to stay with 11 yo daughter

I realize you've already booked a place, but here is one additional option - the Coach House at Prehen House. We stayed here and loved it. It is not quite walking distance, so you'd have to either take a bus (very close by) or drive. But gorgeous - private - self-catering and wonderful. Peat fire. No tv. But horses and chickens on the grounds and a very historic house (they can give you a tour if you ask). Ask about the story of Half Hanged McNaughton. :) Also, it's the location where my profile picture was taken.

irelandselfcateringholiday.com/londonderry/d…

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Where to stay with 11 yo daughter

Cardinalslady. Thank you for that option. It actually looks wonderful - and worth considering - except that they allow pets. I'm quite allergic to almost all animals - so I can't stay at a place that's had pets. That actually eliminated a few other options for us as well. I do appreciate it. I'll pass this on to my friend who lives in Derry - bc. she gets tons of visitors -and most of them might love it there.

Thanks.

Lynn.

PS - we are planning to drive from Dublin - via Belfast on our way. Any place worth seeing/eating lunch in Balfast.

Then we're planning an outing on Sunday to see the Giant Causeway and area highlights. Happy to know what else to add to that day trip too - considering we'll have an 11 yo with us.

13. Re: Where to stay with 11 yo daughter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, November 16, 2010