We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tower Hotel

Clydebank, United...
Destination Expert
for Clydebank
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Tower Hotel

Coming over to Derry in Oct for a short mid-week break, whats the best things to do while there, only been once before for the 60th Football Celebrations (Derry City) last year but it was a flying visit and never got the chance to savor my visit, but enjoyed it so much had to go back!!

Northern Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
8,189 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tower Hotel

Hi Div, why entitle you post "Tower Hotel" and then fail to mention anything about it ? is this where you are staying and are looking for some info on the place, or just general info on Londonderry itself.

Clydebank, United...
Destination Expert
for Clydebank
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tower Hotel

Yes, quite strange now I think of it!! and yes thats were I am staying and just looking for ideas on things to do while there, sorry for the confusion. :-)

Derry
Destination Expert
for Derry
Level Contributor
739 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tower Hotel

Hi Div

If you're coming around Halloween, there's an annual festival which attracts visitors from all around Ireland.

The general things that appeal to vistors include;

- Walking the Walls (guided tours available);

- Visiting the Bogside (Free Derry Corner & Museum, murals etc.);

- Tower museum, Railway museum etc.

- St Columb's/St Eugene's Cathedral

You should have a look at the website derryvisitor.com for more details - if you contact them they'll send you maps/leaflets etc.

Feel free to ask for any more info.

Clydebank, United...
Destination Expert
for Clydebank
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tower Hotel

Thanks for that shells, that is the type of activities we want to do, also what would you say the best Pubs and restaurants that are worth a visit to?

Div

Derry
Destination Expert
for Derry
Level Contributor
739 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tower Hotel

Hi again Div,

If you're interested in traditional pubs, perhaps with live traditional music, Waterloo Street is a good bet, especially Peadar O'Donnells.

Popular general pubs would be The Metro in Bank Place, The Clarendon Bar on Strand Rd and McGinley's in Foyle St. All attract mixed ages and serve food too. Outside the City Centre, DaVincis bar/restaurant/hotel is a popular spot (on the Culmore Road, about 15mins walk from the centre).

For eating out I would suggest the following:

Pub lunches

Mc Ginley's; Badgers Place, Orchard St; The Metro Bar.

Restaurants

The Exchange, Queens Quay; Halo Pantry & Grill, Newmarket St; Danano's, Lower Clarendon St.; DaVincis restaurant; Martha's Vineyard, Pennyburn

These are all within the City Centre with the exception of DaVincis and Martha's which are about 5mins taxi ride (about £3-£4).

Hope this helps!

Clydebank, United...
Destination Expert
for Clydebank
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tower Hotel

Hi Shells99,

I am printing your post as I write, very helpful and thanks again, I think I was in Peadrs last time in Derry and the music is still in my ears!! loved it, will be back there for sure. Thanks again.

Div67

Clydebank, United...
Destination Expert
for Clydebank
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tower Hotel

Hi Shells99,

I am printing your post as I write, very helpful and thanks again, I think I was in Peadrs last time in Derry and the music is still in my ears!! loved it, will be back there for sure. Thanks again.

Div67

Clydebank, United...
Destination Expert
for Clydebank
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tower Hotel

Sorry about the double post, an Error message came up the first time and I thought it never went through!

Derry
Destination Expert
for Derry
Level Contributor
739 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tower Hotel

Don't mention it Div - give me a shout if you need anything else.

Clydebank, United...
Destination Expert
for Clydebank
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tower Hotel

Only two weeks to go till I enjoy a pint and some Music in Peadar O'Donnells, My mate and his wife have now joined us, yeeha!! wont need to talk to the wife all night, only joking i love listening to the wife (only joking that i was only joking) :-) 12.10.09 anyone up for a beer, Hail Hail!

Get answers to your questions about Derry