We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's Newcastle Like?

Which Newcastle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Torrance, CA USA
Level Contributor
74 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
What's Newcastle Like?

Planning a golf trip to N. Ireland for June 2012 and have Royal County Down on my must play list. I am a 48 year-old male and will most likely be by myself. In addition to playing golf I like to enjoy a good meal and a pint or two in the evening. There is limited information available on Newcastle, so I am wondering if it is a decent place to stay for a couple nights while I tackle Royal County Down.

Any thoughts on Newcastle as a place to stay would be greatly appreciated.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,365 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's Newcastle Like?

Newcastle has a lovely location with the sea and the mountains. If you can, consider staying at the Slieve Donard hotel - nice for relaxing with its pool facilities.

hastingshotels.com/slieve-donard-resort-and-…

If you enjoy hiking, you can easily walk in the area - head up through Donard Park.

If you have a car, you can explore more of the Mournes area e.g. Silent Valley.

Newcastle is a typical small seaside town but it can be busy in the summer months as it is popular with families and with teenagers at the weekends but is quieter during the week and out of season. If you are there at the end of June if school has broken for the summer, it might be busy.

These links may provide you with some more information

discovernorthernireland.com/destinationNI/…

downdc.gov.uk/Leisure---Culture/Tourism.aspx

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
2,767 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's Newcastle Like?

It's not a huge place, but it is the biggest town in the immediate area and has a resort feel. It does tend to get busy with day trippers if the weather is good on weekends in June. It is rather picturesque with the back drop of the mountains. If you are playing golf at Royal County Down there is really no reason to go elsewhere. In the words of Percy French, you "might as well be, Where the Mountains of Mourne roll down to the sea."

Newcastle
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's Newcastle Like?

Newcastle is a beautiful place to stay, it has the Mourne Mountains, the seaside, wonderful scenery and has undergone a major facelift in the past few years with a new promenade, public art and new street furniture and is the perfect place to stay if your playing RCD.

The 4 star, Slieve Donard Resort & Spa stands in six acres of private gardens with the beach on one side and Royal County Down bordering the other and is within walking distance of the town. There are other hotels in the town, details can be found on www.discovernorthernireland.com or if you contact the Newcastle Tourist Information Centre (newcastle.tic@downdc.gov.uk) they can help with whatever you need.

Hope this is useful and enjoy your trip to Newcastle.

Torrance, CA USA
Level Contributor
74 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's Newcastle Like?

Thanks for all the info, Newcastle sounds like a great place to spend a couple of days while I am playing RCD. I am looking forward to my visit. Hopefully, the weather will cooperate...:)

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's Newcastle Like?

I would make sure you can get to play Royal County Down first as it can be hard for non-members to get onto the course especially during the summer months

6. Re: What's Newcastle Like?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:29 am, May 31, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Newcastle
Recent Conversations