We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short break in Belfast

Which Belfast hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chester, Uk
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Short break in Belfast

We need help! We are planning to stay in Belfast for 3 nights mid week in March.

I have never been to Northern Ireland before and am not exactly sure what there is to do or where there is to stay. We were planning on hiring a car for the time we are there so we can explore.

Please can you help with whether we are better staying in the city or outside and travelling in. We want a mix of city life and sightseeing further afield. Which places shouldn't be missed.

We are looking at staying at a mid priced hotel.

Thanks1

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short break in Belfast

The Travelodge in the centre of Belfast is pretty reliable and central but parking may be a problem. Belffast iteself has a lot of good pubs (The Crown Liquor Saloon is a must) and restaurants. I'd recommend a coach tours of Belfast taking in the Falls and Shankhill Road areas. It's gives you the historical perspective going back to pre-victorian times coupled with the recent history of 'the troubles'. If you drive north into County Antrim you can vist the Giants Causeway and Bushmills Distillery. The countryside is beautiful with coastal twons like Whitehaven abnd you aren't that far from Strangford Lough either.

Eddie

belfast
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short break in Belfast

Hi,

Belfast is great, i live there, but if i were you i would stay up along the antrim coast. The causeway coast hotel is beside the world famous giants causeway. Its an old fashioned hotel, but a fun place that serves massive amounts of food and very reasonably priced. Belfast is about 70 miles away, but you can go by train from coleraine. That way you can see a lot of northern ireland, and have a drink or a meal and dont have to drive. A drink in the crown bar in belfast is a must. Many famous people have visited there[brad pitt included]. What ever you decide, you will get a warm welcome here,

all the best

N Ireland
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Short break in Belfast

I would recommend doing both - stay a night in belfast and 2 nights up north.

Jurys Inn is a good priced central hotel, close to Crown Bar, shops and Belfasts trendy bar scene (Appartment, Bar Red, Cafe Vaudeville etc) McCauseland car hire is around the corner from Jurys of you wanted to use airport buses for to and from airport.

The Causeway Hotel is lovely on the north coast, so is Cromore Halt in Portstewart (highly recommend) £80/room. I would advise hiring a car for the north coast. Places to visit up there include, Bushmills Distillery (whisky), Giants Causeway Portrush, CarrickaRede Rope Bridge (if youre brave!!) Drive the coastal route for lots of lovely scenery.

For gorg food go to the Ramore Wine Bar complex in Portrush, its busy even on week nights - you cant book it.

Smugglers Inn at the G Causeway is a lovely traditional pub with homecooked food too.

Hope this helps!

Enjoy your stay.

No 1

4. Re: Short break in Belfast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, August 22, 2009