We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Giants Causeway?

Satellite Beach...
Level Contributor
72 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
How to get to Giants Causeway?

We will be arriving on a Sunday from Dublin. Is it possible to go then to see the Giants Causeway or will there not be enough time? If we wait and go Monday, what other stop or stops would you recommend. My husband can't walk far so I'm not sure if we can get close enough to see.

The tours are all day and we don't want to be in a bus that long so we hope to drive.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Giants Causeway?

You don't say what time you are arriving from Dublin, but I reckon you could probably do a round trip to the Causeway in about 6 hours, if you didn't want to see anything else along the way - you can drive up the coast (which is very scenic in itself), visit the causeway and then drive back inland along the motorway.

In relation to other sights, the most popular stop on the way to the Causeway is Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge, but to be honest you need to be able to walk over a mile over uneven terrain to make the best of it, so it might not be suitable for your husband. However there are lots of other places to see along the coast. This website outlines a lot of them:

http://www.northcoastni.com/

In relation to the Causeway itself, those with mobility issues can take the shuttle bus from outside the Giant's Causeway Visitor's Centre down to the stones and then back up again - you don't need to be able to walk long distances. I've done this myself before on crutches without a problem.

Edited: 7:44 am, April 20, 2014
North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to Giants Causeway?

It takes us about 2 hrs 45 each way getting from the Causeway area to Dublin airport which is north of Dublin so I would say it would be an other 30 minutes each way from the city - may even be more. If you go the scenic route one way, it will take longer so although it is doable as a day trip from Dublin it is a long day!!

The whole of the north coast is very pretty though - so if you take the scenic route (really from Larne along the coast north to the Causeway) you can stop at the likes of Cushendun, Cushendall to stretch your legs and grab a coffee without having to walk too far. Ballintoy harbour is another lovely little photo stop. I love Dunluce castle which might be ok and has gorgeous views.

Satellite Beach...
Level Contributor
72 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to Giants Causeway?

We will be staying for two nights in Belfast. I think we might do the Titanic museum the first day and save the Giants Causeway for the second. Thanks for the suggestions on where else else to stop!

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to Giants Causeway?

Ah in that case you can drive Torr Head Scenic route (if weather is clear and you're a confident driver as the road has spectacular views but is narrow in places) as part of the Causeway coastal route.. Another useful website

http://www.causewaycoastandglens.com/

5. Re: How to get to Giants Causeway?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 22, 2015