We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any tips for avoiding traffic congestion during

Which Belfast hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,775 posts
292 reviews
Save Topic
Any tips for avoiding traffic congestion during

the local holiday (is it July 12th or thereabouts).

Will be travelling from Larne Ferry terminal down to County Galway the week after next for a few days. Will there be any traffic hotspots that we should avoid this week around the Belfast Parades area en route to County Galway (and back a few days later)?

We are not at all familiar with the area so any tips will be greatly appreciated!

N Ireland
Level Contributor
266 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any tips for avoiding traffic congestion during

Parades are sometimes hard to avoid at this time of year. Most of them seem to be practice runs and are not publicised in advance. The 12th is the main day for parades so ideally you should not travel then. However if you do the main parades are centred on a particular town in each of the 6 counties of NI and these venues are known well in advance. Maybe the Orange Order have a website detailing the locations of these.

I'm not sure why you want to go near Belfast at all, but I notice that the AA recommended route for going from Larne to Galway includes it in the itinerary, which I personally think is nonsense. Particularly at the moment as the main road running from north to south Belfast, the Westlink, is undergoing major roadworks. In fact I think that their entire recommended route is not the best way. Most people who know the area around Larne would suggest that you skirt around Belfast by going from Larne to Templepatrick and then Nutts Corner. and proceed from there. Also their route takes in Portadown, Clones and Athlone. It's about 15 miles longer to go via Enniskillen and Sligo but I think that you will encounter better roads that way. It is also a much simpler route with less possibility of takinf wrong turns.. From Nutts Corner follow the signs to the M1 motorway, which at that point is about 18 miles away. When you get onto the motorway it's a straight run to Enniskillen. The road from Enniskillen to Sligo is about the worst stretch of road you'll encounter but even then its better that a lot of the roads on the recommended route. From Sligo to Galway is now a very good road.

Going this way you will also avoid the vicinity of Portadown which I think usually has a lot of practice parades going on.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,775 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any tips for avoiding traffic congestion during

Thanks! thats just the kind of advice i was looking for - great inside tips.

If anyone has further advice they could share re the rest of the route, especially if they can recommend nice places to stop for a stretch of the legs and for some refreshment I would be forever grateful.

Thanks again.

Belfast, Northern...
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any tips for avoiding traffic congestion during

Purple Celtic, what date are you coming? The parades will just be the 12th and 13th July. If its the week after next then you will miss them. (or maybe I have read it wrong?)

HTH

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,775 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any tips for avoiding traffic congestion during

I'll be heading back to Larne on 13th - does that mean that most roads will be quieter except where the parades are on?

(fingers firmly crossed)

Belfast, Northern...
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any tips for avoiding traffic congestion during

Yes, there are less parades on the 13th. Let me ask someone when I get home from work and will confirm for you.

:o)

Belfast, Northern...
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any tips for avoiding traffic congestion during

Theres a reinactment at Scarva on the 13th July,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarva

www.banbridge.com/template1.asp…

Though if im thinking right you won't be any where near it, unless someone can say otherwise.

Hope this helps for now.

Belfast, Northern...
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any tips for avoiding traffic congestion during

If you want to contact the parades commission

http://www.paradescommission.org/

they should let you know if anything else is planned.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,775 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any tips for avoiding traffic congestion during

Thanks NYCfan - you've been a great help with all that information - I'm going to make a note of it - now all I need is a decent road map -

wh smith here I come!

Belfast, Northern...
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any tips for avoiding traffic congestion during

No probs, if I hear of anything else between now and then I will post it up.

Enjoy your trip

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
9 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any tips for avoiding traffic congestion during

I think it is very safe to say that in the event you should come accross a parade, you will very often find a helpful policeman who will do their best to redirect your journey. You should find that most of the parades stay away from motorways/"A" Roads anyway.

Why you were referred to the Parades Commission is laughable!