We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Giant's Causeway planning

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
308 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Giant's Causeway planning

I am planning a trip to the Giant's causeway and i need some help with timing and stopovers. I am coming from Scotland and will be landing in Belfast then renting a car. I have 2-3 full days available. Seeing Belfast is not a must but the causeway is. I haven't made any reservations yet so i have time to make changes. I'm currently planning to stay overnight in Belfast and take a tour of the city for my arrival afternoon. Would it be better to skip belfast city and start up towards the causeway and stay overnight on the way to have more time?

I want to see Glenarm Castle Walled Garden,

Glenariff Forest Park (what would you suggest for a couple hours or so here?)

Dark Hedges (a must)

Carrick a Rede Bridge (afraid of heights so i don't want to climb it necessarily)

Giant's Causeway (a must - the whole reason for coming to Belfast)

Old Bushmills Distillery

Dunluce Castle (outside only)

Mountsandel Fort

MussendenTemple

Roe Valley Country Park (sounds lovely)

is londonderry a must? It's not high on my list but its on all the causeway tours.

How long should i allot for the above?

Where (area-wise) would you stop for the nights?

I will be going to Dublin for a few days next. What is my best way there? I'm currently planning to drive back to belfast - return the rental car - and take the train to dublin. Is there another way perhaps from londonderry?

Thank you for your help.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Giant's Causeway planning

To be fair Mountsandel fort isn't the best known unless you're interestedin archaeology or history!

That sounds ominous Bridget - sounds like there are some stories behind that remark!! :(

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
2,978 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Giant's Causeway planning

Then walk Bridget!

http://www.walkni.com/ulsterway/

13. Re: Giant's Causeway planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, August 31, 2014