We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ulster folk and transportation museum

Which Belfast hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brampton, Ontario...
Level Contributor
10 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Ulster folk and transportation museum

We would like to go to this museum but it looks a little difficult to get there from the city centre. How far do we have to walk after we get off public transportation (train, bus?) to the museum? I am very interested in how my ancestors may have lived (they were from Belfast, Newry and Holywood).

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ulster folk and transportation museum

By rail: Bangor train, Get off at the Cultra Halt rail station. From there it’s a 2 minute walk to the Transport Galleries, or an uphill walk of about 15 minutes to the Folk Museum. Contact Translink on +44 (0) 28 9066 6630 for up-to-date rail timetable information. By bus: Get off at the bus stop outside the Museum entrance, on the main Belfast to Bangor road. Then follow the path uphill to the Folk Museum for about a 5 minute walk, or downhill to the Transport Museum. Contact Translink on 028 9066 6630 for up-to-date bus timetable information. - See more at: nmni.com/uftm/…sthash.QjBIb2fV.dpuf

Edited: 6:12 pm, July 30, 2013
Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ulster folk and transportation museum

Yes, there is only a short walk from Cultra train station to the transport part of the museum, but a good long walk up a steep hill to the folk part of the museum. Definitely worth it though if you can manage the walk. They used to run a shuttle bus between the two parts of the museum (an old trolley type bus) over the summer but I can't see a mention of it on their website any more. I've asked about it on their facebook page and will report back.

Brampton, Ontario...
Level Contributor
10 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ulster folk and transportation museum

Thanks for the response. Sounds like the bus would suit us oaps best. Will make notes and get directions in Belfast. Appreciate your help.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
817 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ulster folk and transportation museum

To be honest, if it were me, I would get the train. Much more comfortable. The difference in the distance between the train and bus stops at the museum is negligible.

Of course this partly depends on which part of the city centre you're coming from. If you're somewhere around Great Victoria Street, the train would be much handier, since (if I recall correctly) buses to Bangor still leave from the Laganside bus station, which isn't particularly handy for that part of town.

Brampton, Ontario...
Level Contributor
10 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ulster folk and transportation museum

Hmmm...We are staying not far from Great Victoria street. I'm just worried about the uphill walk as my husband walks with a cane. We know there will be walking inside the area but don't want to start off in discomfort (it is really the hill that is worrying me).. Now I have a dilemma. We will have to think about it and decide if we want to go. Sometimes these things sound worse than they are. I wouldn't have hesitated had I not known of the walk uphill but better to know and make an informed decision. Thanks for your advice.

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ulster folk and transportation museum

I actually visited last year on crutches with a painful bone disorder, so I understand completely. I could possibly have made it up the hill given enough time but I would have been tired and in pain by the top, which is no way to start what is supposed to be a fun experience. That's why I was so grateful for the little shuttle bus but the museum folks haven't replied to my question about that yet on Facebook.

The way I see it you have 3 choices here:

1. Take the train or bus and then brave the uphill walk - take it nice and slow and head straight for the café for a restorative cup of tea and a rest when you reach the top.

2. Take a taxi from the city centre and they can drop you off at the top of the hill (a local firm will be cheaper than the black taxis you see around the place - your hotel could call one for you, or call a company like Valuecabs yourself - their number is 028 9080 9080). You can always walk downhill to the train station or bus stop when you're finished if you want to save a bit of money on the way back.

3. Visit another venue instead. The Ulster American Folk Park in Omagh is much further away (it's pretty much a whole day's trip on public transport) but it's very accessible if memory serves.

I have to say I really wish the UFTM would work out a permanent solution to this for those with mobility difficulties - this is about the third time I remember the steep hill being a problem for people over the last year or so alone.

Brampton, Ontario...
Level Contributor
10 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ulster folk and transportation museum

How lovely of you to go to all this trouble. A cab may be the answer because I really don't want to miss it. Thanks again.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Belfast, Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
864 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ulster folk and transportation museum

Hope you have a great time there. Plenty to see on a visit. I really enjoyed it last month myself after not being there for years. The food in the (quite large) restaurant isn't bad at all for a quick bite to eat.

Brampton, Ontario...
Level Contributor
10 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ulster folk and transportation museum

I'm sure every little bit of info will help us to have a good time. Thanks

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ulster folk and transportation museum

I heard back from the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum and sadly they're not running the shuttle bus any more. I have asked if they can suggest any means of getting up the steep hill for those with mobility issues but I would imagine they won't have a magical solution. If you are taking a taxi, make sure you tell them it's the FOLK part of the museum you want to go to (rather than the transport side) and ask if they can take you as far up the hill as they can get. I hope you enjoy yourselves!