We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Concerns Buying Titanic Tickets Online

Which Belfast hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 posts
Save Topic
Concerns Buying Titanic Tickets Online

Hi there,

My son and I are going to Belfast in mid-July for a quick one-day/night stop. The one area we want to go to is the Titanic Exhibit. However, when I went on their site to buy tickets, their site has a graphic showing it's secure, but the site (shown within the URL or using my browser to tell me) is not secure. And this is on the page where I enter my credit card information.

I'm a web designer so I know that that site should be secure if it's carrying information like this.

Here's the link: titanicbelfast.com/Navigation/…Bookings.aspx

I guess what I'm wondering is if we go on a Sunday (first thing in the morning) whether we'll have a hard time getting in if we don't buy the tickets online. I'd honestly rather call them and buy them over the phone than put my information into an unsecure site.

Thanks for your input!

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
817 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Concerns Buying Titanic Tickets Online

If I remember correctly, this was raised before, either on here or on moneysavingexpert.com. As far as I recall, the outcome was that if you actually go into the booking process itself, it's done through HTTPS.

I've just gone through as far as their payment page, and there's a big notice on it saying it's SSL secured, but still no padlock on the browser. However, I definitely do seem to recall someone saying that it's secure, but it's just some quirk of how the site is designed that means it doesn't show the padlock. I could be wrong though.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
817 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Concerns Buying Titanic Tickets Online

Cora, here's their response, which you'll understand :) It's basically bad design of their site, which they're going to rectify.

We fully appreciate your security concerns. Please be assured that the booking/ticketing page is fully encrypted and 100% secure. The booking page itself is being presented within an iframe within the main body of the website. The link that pulls in this iframe is a https link secured with a ssl cert; even if the iframe wasn't configured with a ssl cert just before the stage at which the credit card details are entered the site switches to its ssl variant. The titanicbelfast.com website does not display the padlock due to the nature of where the page is being rendered; although this is a purely cosmetic issue and does not compromise the security of the site, we are in the process of adding an SSL cert to the outer frame page as well to provide visual comfort.

Las Vegas, Nevada
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Concerns Buying Titanic Tickets Online

Thanks, everyone. Yes, I had emailed them and received the same response. As a web designer, I can tell you that is most assuredly very poor design. But they're going to change it soon, which is a good thing.

Thanks everyone! We're very excited!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
2,767 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Concerns Buying Titanic Tickets Online

"I can tell you that is most assuredly very poor design"

Rather appropriate don't you think?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
2,767 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Concerns Buying Titanic Tickets Online

"I can tell you that is most assuredly very poor design"

Rather appropriate don't you think?

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,365 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Concerns Buying Titanic Tickets Online

Drumlough - that's bad....!!!lol

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Concerns Buying Titanic Tickets Online

Fly out off the George on a snowy day and its an Ice burg!

8. Re: Concerns Buying Titanic Tickets Online

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, June 30, 2014