We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belfast tips and advice?

Dublin
Level Contributor
161 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Belfast tips and advice?

Just wondering if anyone has been to Belfast want to bring my mother there. I have never been so haven't a clue. Looking for a good central hotel as Mam wouldnt be able for loads of walking. How far would train station be from main areas (what are main areas??)

What would shopping areas be? also looking for a good restaurant, cafes and a hotel, will just be for the weekend.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belfast tips and advice?

Lots of people have been to Belfast and some of us even live here ;-)

Think of Belfast City Hall as the middle of the city centre. Different areas then run off to the north, south, east and west. The main shopping drag runs off the street at the north (front) side of City Hall, including Castle Place, Royal Avenue (including Castle Court shopping centre), High Street, Ann Street and Victoria Square shopping/entertainment centre. The south of the city centre heads up towards Queens Quarter (named after the university there), where you'll find bars, restaurants, the Ulster Museum and Botanic Gardens. Great Victoria street (to the west of City Hall) also runs south in that direction, and has its own fair share of bars and restaurants, as well as several hotels, the Grand Opera House and the Europa bus station/Great Victoria Street train station (they are under the same roof). To the north of City Hall you'll also find the Cathedral Quarter, full of trendy bars and restaurants. In the east of the city you'll find the Titanic Quarter, with the Titanic Experience, Pump House and the newly opened SS Nomadic, as well as the Odyssey Arena.

For hotels, with mobility issues I would recommend staying as central as possible to make sure you're close to transport links, restaurants, shopping, etc. Ten Square is the most central hotel, being just behind the City Hall. The Park Inn is also very close. Any of the hotels on Great Victoria Street would be good too, e.g. Jury's, the Fitzwilliam or the Europa. I personally wouldn't go as far as the Days Hotel or Ibis though. Alternatively the Merchant (quite swish) and Premier Inn Cathedral Quarter are quite central, albeit on the north side of the city centre, which means they're convenient for restaurants and shopping but maybe not as convenient for transport, depending where you're coming from/going to.

If you're coming from Dublin, the train will leave you off at Central Station, which ironically is not very central. However you can hop on any bus to the city centre for free if you show your train ticket. Alternative you could catch the bus up to Belfast (Bus Eireann/Translink run a regular service, as do Aircoach) which would leave you off at the Europa.

Hope this has been helpful but ask away with any more questions!

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
3,769 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belfast tips and advice?

I'd recommend Jury's Inn as that (for us) is very central.

We travel from UK normally by air but neither airport is that close to the city centre, but having a car helps. The roads are very well sign posted, and if you have a sat nav that will come in very useful.

There's many shopping malls, and you may get bargains in sterling (you'll notice a difference with the euro!)

We are not from Belfasr but have travelled over a few times and always enjoyed the hospitality!

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Belfast tips and advice?

Great information in the above posts.

Belfast is a compact city and easy to get around. I do like Victoria Square for shopping but Royal Avenue is excellent. Lisburn Road (bus ride away in the south of the city) has some lovely more upmarket boutiques.

Regarding restaurants and cafes, there is lots of choice. For cafes, avoca is a good mother/daughter choice but can get very busy and isn't the cheapest but there is a good selection of cafes anyway.

Re restaurants, I like ginger bistro but there are lots to choose from. Have you any food preferences and the Belfast residents will be able to help you out:)

Ten Square is a lovely boutique hotel in a great location but has a pub downstairs beside the Grill so I was wondering if it might be a little noisy for your mam. But to be honest in any city centre hotel there can be traffic noise anyway so it may not be a factor and I dont' see it mentioned in reviews so it may be well soundproofed.

N IRELAND
Level Contributor
151 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Belfast tips and advice?

My husband and I went to Belfast on Thursday and stayed until Saturday morning. We stayed in Premier Inn Cathedral Quarter. The staff were really friendly and the room was lovely. Plenty of space and very clean. You can get breakfast in the hotel if you want but we had our breakfast in the Metz cafe. The hotel is so central very close to shops and restaurants. We went on the hop on hop off bus 10 50 each. The ticket lasts for 24 hours and you can get off and on at the different stops and stay as long as you like. Belfast Castle is one of the stops on the black busand the grounds are lovely. Well worth a visit. The weather was fantastic, strange for N Ireland and we had a great time. I would highly recommend it.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Belfast tips and advice?

RAINBOW1LO, thanks for the update. I didn't realise until your post that the Titanic Bus Tours go to Belfast Castle now too.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Belfast tips and advice?

"Just wondering if anyone has been to Belfast want to bring my mother there."

7.86million in 2011 according to Belfast City Council. Looks like they are still totting up the total for 2012.

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Belfast tips and advice?

You should definitely try the Alans Causeway cafe off great victoria street, shaftsbury square, about 5 mins from the main train / bus station.

Amazingly friendly, and a brilliant well presented menu.

I keep going back.

I just saw yesterday they and a new website. www.causewaycafe.co.uk

I live in london and visit them on every visit.

Paul

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
861 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Belfast tips and advice?

First two posts on the forum, both about the same establishment. Hmmmm.....

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,291 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Belfast tips and advice?

Detective Darren, He has got a point it is a great place for breakfast ,There Belly Buster Fry is just that! What he has not told you is, the cafe is located in the International youth hostel and closes at 12.00 noon daily.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
861 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Belfast tips and advice?

He may have a point, but his limited posting and review history and the fact that 3 of them give a glowing review to this place whilst giving Maggie May's a poor review makes me suspicious. ;-)