We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus fare from Belfast to Londonderry

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
433 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
bus fare from Belfast to Londonderry

What is the fare from Belfast to Londonderry? Roundtrip. Where do I catch the bus in Belfast to go there. Thanks

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bus fare from Belfast to Londonderry

Currently it's £17.50 for a day return, under a promotional fare:

translink.co.uk/Services/…

You catch the bus at the Europa Bus Centre on Great Victoria Street.

The train fare (departing from the train station under the same roof at the bus centre) is also £17.50 for a day return, but if you leave after 9.30am you get 1/3 off this price, so that's another option to consider:

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
845 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bus fare from Belfast to Londonderry

Or if you buy a Zone 4 iLink card online, you'll get it for £16.50 (although I would imagine you won't be able to do so, given that you're in the U.S.), and you could then use either bus or train.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
433 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bus fare from Belfast to Londonderry

I am wanting to use the bus in Belfast 9 times while I'm visiting Is there a travel card or pass for multi uses? What would that cost? Can't seem to find any costs of the bus fares.

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bus fare from Belfast to Londonderry

Yes there are a few options but it depends on how many days your trips are spread over which one is right for you. For the following I'm assuming all your bus journeys are in the Greater Belfast area (i.e. on the Metro bus routes - the Metro buses are the pink ones) so if any of your bus journeys are further afield this won't apply for those.

Currently a Metro day ticket is £3.70 per adult if you purchase it before 9.30am or after 3.30pm. If you purchase it between those hours the price reduces to £3.20. You can use your day ticket on all Metro buses that day with no limits. You buy it from the driver of the first bus you take that day. A cash fare for most bus journeys (in what Metro call the "city zone") is £1.90 for an adult, so if you're paying by cash and taking more than 1 journey, the day ticket will be worth your while.

However... (there is always a "but"), there is another card you can purchase called a Multi-journey Smartlink card. You buy the card for £1 and then top it up in multiples of 10. In your case it would cost £1 for the card plus £11.50 for 10 journeys, meaning a total of £12.50, or around £1.39 per journey.

https:/…

So basically if your 9 journeys will be taken over only a few days, you might be better with day tickets, or if they'll be spread out over a longer time, the card might be the way to go.

Sorry if any of this is confusing but I hope it helps!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
433 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bus fare from Belfast to Londonderry

Thanks - my bus trips are outside the Belfast metro area, Larne to Portrush, Londonderry to Clough, round trip day trip to Belfast, round trip day trip to New Castle from Clough. What tickets do I need for those trips? These trips are over a 7 day period.

Edited: 9:48 pm, June 20, 2013
Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
845 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bus fare from Belfast to Londonderry

Your best bet then is to buy a 7-day Zone 4iLink travelcard, since it covers the whole of N.I. It costs £57/£58 for the week and will allow you unlimited travel on trains and buses for the week.

(Make sure you read the user guide before you start to use it though)

EDIT: A link would be useful - https:/…

Edited: 3:37 am, June 21, 2013
Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bus fare from Belfast to Londonderry

Yes, definitely a different story then. Unfortunately there is no fare calculator on the Translink website for Ulsterbus / Goldine services, so you would have to contact them by phone or email to cost your individual journeys to see whether there is a big price difference between buying tickets individually compared with the weekly iLink card. Darren's idea of the iLink card would certainly be the least hassle though.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
845 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bus fare from Belfast to Londonderry

I would say that the iLink card would undoubtedly be cheaper, since even just Derry to Clough is likely to cost about £20 alone. It would be funny to see the Translink call centre drones trying to deal with that query though, so go for it. :-)

Just don't phone this Monday, since they'll be too busy dealing with customers inconvenienced due to NIR staff striking even after they've had a pay rise.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
433 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bus fare from Belfast to Londonderry

Thanks. I did send out an email asking for the individual fares. We will see if I get a response. I think the iLink pass is going to be my option though. I can use that pass for one week on any train or bus throughout Northern Ireland, correct??

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
845 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bus fare from Belfast to Londonderry

That's correct, yes. The 7 days start when you first use the pass.