We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking from Belfast to the Mourne mountains

Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Walking from Belfast to the Mourne mountains

Hi.

I am walking from Belfast to he Mourne mountains this Easter.

Ideally I want to keep off as many main roads as possible.

Any thoughts, tips, or ideas out there?

Many thanks in advance for any help

Len

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking from Belfast to the Mourne mountains

I would consider it a very dangerous rd to walk, as it is an A rd and there is no footpath for most of the way and to walk the back rd you would need to be suicidal, Why not get the bus to Dundrum or Newcastle and walk the Mournes from their, it would be a lot safer.

Newcastle at Easter is mental with boy racers and bikers.

Whatever you do wear a hi vis.

Edited: 2:55 am, February 24, 2013
Belfast
Level Contributor
489 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking from Belfast to the Mourne mountains

That's some walk. I think Bobby W is right, if you're a keen walker you would enjoy walking in the Mournes more than to them.

Check out www.walkni.com or www.mournelive.com for some walks in the area.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
2,983 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking from Belfast to the Mourne mountains

Unfortunately not too many walkers frequent these forums. You would think that no less than a taxi driver would be aware that Northern Ireland has one of the densest road networks in Europe and it is not at all difficult to be walking within even a few miles of Belfast and find that you could count on one had the number of vehicles passing an hour.

I would suggest a couple of options:

A. Leave Belfast via the Lagain Towpath to Lisburn and thence via Ravarnet and in the general direction of Anahilt, Dromara and Castlewellan. Walking over the top of Slieve Croob and Slieve Garron is a great route, alternatively to keep on roads via Windy Gap.

B. Leave Belfast via the Comber Greenway to Comber and thence via Strangford Lough (west) shore to Whiterocks. Then to Shrigley and Delmont Country Park to Quile Pondage. Then take some of the quiet roads through the Lecale District and follow the coast from Dundrum towards Newcastle.

You are probably looking at a 3 or 4 day walk, so locating accommodation would be the driving factor on the exact route. Post again with any specific queries.

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking from Belfast to the Mourne mountains

Drumlough its Easter and the roads in Co Down are full of boy racers and bikers, Fair enough he could walk around the world for a short cut, i simply said he would be a lot safer to walk in the Mournes than to them.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
2,983 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking from Belfast to the Mourne mountains

I live in Co Down on one of the many small roads that do NOT get full at Easter. Fortunately there are some people that actually walk through the countryside, simply because they enjoy it and not because they can't afford the taxi fare.

Edited: 6:57 pm, February 25, 2013
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking from Belfast to the Mourne mountains

Many thanks to you all for the helpfull tips.

Will follow advice from Drunlough

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
2,983 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking from Belfast to the Mourne mountains

Lenmark do let me know your rough plan as I have either walked or cycled most of the terrain. I have walked the entire Ulster Way (old route) and have therefore walked through the Mourne Mountains to the suburbs of Belfast.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
2,983 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking from Belfast to the Mourne mountains

With the serious weather conditions, attempting to hike over Slieve Croob would not be available this side of Easter. Rural roads close to the mountain are also currently impassable with snow. However most other rural roads are now open.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
2,983 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking from Belfast to the Mourne mountains

It's mid afternoon in mid Down on Easter Monday and I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of the boy racers! Might it be too cold for them today???

10. Re: Walking from Belfast to the Mourne mountains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, April 03, 2014