We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traditional Irish Music

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Traditional Irish Music

Due to arrive in Belfast this friday for the easter weekend. Could anyone recommend a bar/pub which will probably host a Irish band of some sort, which will play typical Irish music?

I was in Dublin at New Year and we went into the Temple Bar pub itself, and had a great time. Looking for a similar busy atmosphere? Any suggestions?

Belfast
Level Contributor
156 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traditional Irish Music

As far as I know there's a traditional irish session downstairs in White's Tavern on a Friday and Saturday evening. Enjoy your visit!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traditional Irish Music

great, thanks for your quick response, we will be checking that place out. Read on another thread though, that this maybe a bit of an old mans pub? That tends to shut early on Easter friday? We'll give it a try though!

Belfast
Level Contributor
570 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traditional Irish Music

The John Hewitt's website says it has an early evening session at 6pm on Sat. www.thejohnhewitt.com/entertainment.php

I think some pubs will close early on Good Friday.

Whites Tavern has got an older crowd, but you would expect that of anywhere that has traditional sessions on.

Enjoy your trip.

Belfast
Level Contributor
156 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traditional Irish Music

I would guess that most pubs will close early on Good Friday. Hadn't thought of that! I wouldn't say it's an overly old clientele in White's. More so a mix. Just what you would expect in a traditional pub. The club upstairs certainly pulls a large and varied crowd!

Belfast
Level Contributor
570 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traditional Irish Music

I agree with what Curlybap says about Whites clientele. It is worth a visit to Whites anyway as it is supposed to be Belfast oldest pub. It dates back to 1630 so is worth a look

Devon, England
Level Contributor
85 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traditional Irish Music

Hi

we were in Belfast for the weekend last week and went to Fibber Magees.There was a band playing called Blackthorn,they were amazing. If youcan find where they are playing go and see them.The atmosphere in Fibber Magees was great and everybody was so friendly. I think they have live music on most nights. Hope you have a great time.I would recommmend the open bus tour

Ontario
Level Contributor
449 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traditional Irish Music

I'd second what Norma-Devon says about Fibber Magees and Blackstaff. Robinsons Bar, which includes Fibbers, has a schedule of what group is there on particular nights. Check http://www.robinsonsbar.co.uk/Fibber.htm

You can also Google for reviews of the bar itself. I've nothing to compare Fibbers with in Belfast--it was recommended by the hotel we were at--but we had an exceptionally good time there. And, it's right door to the famed Crown Liquor Saloon.

Ontario
Level Contributor
449 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traditional Irish Music

Oops, my mistake: We were there on a night that Blackstaff, not Blackthorn, was performing. The reviews I was mentioning are at www.belfastbar.co.uk/Fibber-Magees-Review.htm

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traditional Irish Music

Thanks for everyones input,

due to the drinking limitations that were on during the Easter weekend, we could'nt stay out longer than 11-30!

First night we went to Katy Daly's and had a few drinks to a bit of live music there, second night we went to Crown liquor saloon as everywhere else seemed to be closing up or taking last orders after we had finished our meal and set out to find a pub/bar.

Was a bit dissapointed with the fact that you could'nt be served alchohol before 5, and places were shutting at 11-30 on good friday.

belfast
Level Contributor
109 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traditional Irish Music

That's a shame about easter hours! i always forget as well but you found a couple of great bars while you were here. hopefully you'll get back over so you can rectify the limited drinking hours!