We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belfast Tour bus attacked

Which Belfast hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
belfast-UK
Level Contributor
473 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
Belfast Tour bus attacked

The company who operate the open-top bus tours of Belfast have pulled their services off the Falls Road after an attack on a vehicle carrying tourists this afternoon.

The Belfast Sightseeing company who take thousands of tourists around the city every week withdrew their services from the Falls Road after youths attacked a bus.

A guide on the bus attacked today said tourists on board had a lucky escape. "When the first missile came it was obvious it was bottles and stones. At least one of them hit the bus which was very disconcerting for people on the top deck and had the potential to be a very very serious incident," he said.

I suppose seeing they don't attack police landrovers now they have to throw stones/bottles at something !!

jj......

Belfast, Northern...
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belfast Tour bus attacked

Im shocked at this, and hope it does not put tourists off coming to see our beautiful city.

These mindless thugs obviously had nothing better to do during hallowe'en week!

We went on the ghost tour operated by the same people the other night, it was excellent! And I did scream....a lot LOL

Lets hope these attacks stop and they can resume back on the Falls as that is a must see part of the tour for tourists.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
754 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belfast Tour bus attacked

This is very bad news. I have to say that youths throwing stones at buses is no longer a Falls Road-exclusive problem though, if you go to Manchester of Birmingham this type of thing happens all the time. The fact that it was a tourist bus is particularly worrying though.

Province of...
Level Contributor
56 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Belfast Tour bus attacked

Thanks for your post j.j., it just means we have to be vigilant when travelling around these areas. However, it will not stop me visiting your beautiful city. My husband and I were there April this year, and actually stayed on the falls road. It was our 1st time visit to the city, and although we are both Welsh, we have lived in Spain for many years. I am returning in December with my sister and would like to go to giants causeway. Will it be too cold? What I liked on my first visit: People are friendly, if sometimes guarded. The culture that oozes out of the city was very refreshing, and we spend many hours strolling and taking in the scenery. At no time did we feel uncomfortable, and I just hope that things keep going the way they have been up until this unfortunate incident. Well done Belfast and it's people is all I can say.

belfast-UK
Level Contributor
473 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Belfast Tour bus attacked

Yes weather can be cold/wet/windy

Have a great trip !!

jj.....

South East
Level Contributor
481 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Belfast Tour bus attacked

Unfortunately like the rest of the UK - Belfast also has its fair share of mindless chav morons !!

belfast-UK
Level Contributor
473 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Belfast Tour bus attacked

According to reports tonight normal service has resumed !!

jj...

Ireland
Level Contributor
11 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Belfast Tour bus attacked

as said before this happens all over the uk, yes befast has hard its hard times but is now a pretty safe city, these tour busses are welcome in all areas of belfast and i hope this wont put people off coming,

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
737 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Belfast Tour bus attacked

I note that you fail to mention the background to all this which is that a crowd of unruly school kids on one of the tour buses decided that it would be a laugh to throw stones from the bus at a memorial garden - something which got locals backs up. So not just a simple case of locals attacking a tour bus out of the blue, but a misguided "revenge" attack.

sluggerotoole.com/index.php/…

9. Re: Belfast Tour bus attacked

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:21 am, September 14, 2009