We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Glens

Bromley, Kent
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
The Glens

Hi All, My wife and myself visit Belfast and the north coast for two weeks in the middle of September, we will have a hire car.Although i have got lots of sites and stuff to see, i would like some help in enjoying the Glens in the North East.Is there anywhere in particular that we will find iteresting in these country parts and is there any really nice peaceful b&b `s for us to stay in.My wife has been very ill in India, and on our return i have since been in hospital with a minor stroke, so we are looking for nice quiet, but nice walks and friendly people with lovely scenery.Any pointers will be gratefully acknowledged,

Mant thanks,

M & D.

Coleraine, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Glens

September will be a good time to come - weather should be decent and the North Coast won't be too busy with tourists. I live on North Coast so I can't help with B+Bs, but there are so many great walks to choose from. Do you prefer beaches, forests, open countryside?

I take it you've checked out the Northern Ireland Tourist Board website? The local councils (mostly Coleraine and Moyle for North Coast) also have some info, and I recently came across some pretty good websites covering the Glens and Causeway www.causewaycoastandglensheritagetrust.org and www.northantrim.com

The National Trust owns the Causeway, rope bridge, Portstewart Strand, Mussenden Temple so their website or handbook would also be helpful.

You should definitely get the boat across from Ballycastle to Rathlin - beautiful scenery, great wildlife spotting opportunities and very peaceful.

Enjoy your trip!

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Glens

Like RachM I live up here so can't comment too much on quiet B&Bs.

You should love the glens and north coast at a leisurely pace. You might want to consider a little bit of time further south in the Mournes though as well for some nice walks. But definitely I would recommend at least a day trip to Donegal - you can take the car by the Magilligan ferry and arrive at Greencastle. There is a shoreline walk there or you can drive around Inishowen and explore the area there. There's an interesting famine centre at Doagh Island. An alternative would be to drive via Derry to Glenveagh (stop off at Grianan Aileach Fort at Burt) which has the baronial castle, walks and gardens.

Also, you could consider a day trip to Rathlin. Although the puffins will have gone, it is still worth exploring.

Bromley, Kent
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Glens

Yes, i like this answer from Ponaire, it has given me something to google, thanks.

rachm77, again, thanks for the answer, all your suggestions are on my list.

Any more suggestions out there ?.

belfast
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: The Glens

Hi

the londonderry arms in carnlough might be worth a look.

it was once owned by lady churchill and is very quiet but lots of walks near by.

maybe for 1-2 nights.

Bromley, Kent
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Glens

thanks,

I am looking at the "arms" now, it is now on my list.

Bromley, Kent
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Glens

I am being informed that this hotel is no longer available, looks superb too.

7. Re: The Glens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:27 am, September 04, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Belfast