We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary advice, and tours Belfast & Derry

Cambridge...
4 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary advice, and tours Belfast & Derry

Advice is greatly appreciated on a few questions regarding trip to NI beginning in one week. I'll be traveling by rental car with my mid-20 y.o. daughter for 4 nights /4 days in Northern Ireland, flying in and out of Belfast City Airport. We have booked the first 2 nights in Belfast, arriving there early afternoon of the first day, and booked the 3rd night in Londonderry. We'll drive from Belfast, following the coastal route for as much as we can on 3rd day to Derry, and aren't certain where we'll wish to be for our 4th day & night, other than it not be a too long drive on the next day to the BHD to return a rental car by 1:30-PM (our flight to London is at 3:10 PM). Any suggestions are greatly appreciated for the 4th night!

We're not certain if we'll wish to go back East along the coast for our 4th night to see some sights may have missed after a tour in Londonderry, perhaps staying in Portstewart or elsewhere near coast. Or stay in Derry area or somewhere else, more toward Belfast for the last night - wherever you might recommend? We enjoy learning about history, beautiful scenery, tea stops :-). Weather may be a determining factor. Is Portstewart or Londonderry not too far a drive to the BHD in a morning? I imagine that many B&B's located in most prime locations may be booked - but will there likely be some options if we wait to make reservations at last minute? 2) Other questions: Belfast tours recommended - Coiste - Irish Political Tours and/or Black Taxi? Arthur Magee walking tour? We'll also be taking a tour in Derry, too – Bogside and/or McNamara? Should we book ahead? - Lastly, do you recommend visiting Ulster Museum and/or the Ulster Folk & Transportation Museum in Belfast? Many, many thanks, in advance, for any suggestions!

Derry
Destination Expert
for Derry
Level Contributor
739 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary advice, and tours Belfast & Derry

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186482-…

Have a look at City Tours, by Michael McCrossan for Derry - they consistently receive good reviews here. I don't think you'd need to book in advance but you might feel better doing so due to your time constraints.

You might be interested in a self guided or organised tour of the Bogside and/or the Bloody Sunday museum.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary advice, and tours Belfast & Derry

To be honest, I think I would have done 3rd night Portstewart/Portrush/Causeway & 4th night Derry. If you're tied to Derry on 3rd day, then I'd stay there 2 nights. I'd plan for a late arrival on day 3 - contact your accom to tell them you'll be a late arrival. That gives you one full day to drive the causeway coastal route - we've still long days so you could visit causeway in the early evening as it opens late. You may need to check other attractions hours. That allows you day 4 to explore Derry & on day 5, I'd allow up to 3 hours to drive to bhd, sort out car rental etc. So you don't need a very early start but you won't have much time in the morning really.

Cambridge...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary advice, and tours Belfast & Derry

Thanks very much! Good advice. We were attached to staying in a particular accommodation in the Derry area that only had a room available on our 3rd night (July 20th), but perhaps should not let that drive (literally! :-) the itinerary… many other good choices no doubt. I'm checking on TA, and any personal input people have for the Derry and Portstewart area are appreciated! Thanks!

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary advice, and tours Belfast & Derry

In Derry Take Martin Mc Crossan City tour it leaves from the Foyleside shopping centre at 10,12,14,and 16.00

Just turn up, no need to book.

Cambridge...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary advice, and tours Belfast & Derry

Bobby W, Thank you! - very helpful information. My daughter and I are looking forward to the tour, and visiting Derry. We're now arriving in Derry on Monday, July 21st - and it sounds as though there are tours every day of the week - good news! We're also interested in the Bogside Tour and/or the Bloody Sunday Museum, and we'll see how time goes. Our time is unfortunately limited this trip… we'll have to return!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
73 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary advice, and tours Belfast & Derry

The drive along the coast is lovely, and I'd definitely leave a day and a half for it. We came from the opposite direction and spent an afternoon in Derry, spent the night there, and left pretty early the next morning on the Causeway Coastal route. We arrived in the Portrush/Bushmills/Giant's Causeway area early the next afternoon and felt that we had plenty of time to stop on the side of the road, visit the Causeway, and see the major sites. The next morning we did the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge and headed on towards Belfast, stopping to drive along one of the Glens of Antrim on the way.

For you, if you wanted to spend the 3rd night in Derry, you could travel directly from Belfast to Derry via the interior, spending Day 3 in Derry. You could leave Derry in the morning and spend Day 4 along the coast (possibly moving faster than we did and spend the fourth night in Ballycastle. On the last morning, the drive to the Belfast airport would only take an hour or two--depending if you continued on the longer and more scenic coastal route.

However you do Days 3 and 4, you'll have one short drive (Belfast to Derry or vice versa) of 90 minutes-2 hours, and one long scenic drive along the coast (4-5 hours, including pulling over at some scenic lookouts), which can be split between two days (either 3 and 4 or 4 and 5).

Northern Ireland publishes some great driving route recommendations for this route: www.discovernorthernireland.com/causeway/. Hope this helps!

7. Re: Itinerary advice, and tours Belfast & Derry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 21, 2015