We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 29 of 34: Portrush

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,348 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Day 29 of 34: Portrush

Started the day in the drizzle at Dunluce Castle--what a striking place. They honored our Ireland OPW Heritage cards, so getting in free was a bonus. Good video and free audio guides. Spent about an hour there--really enjoyed it.

Decided to stop by Bushmills to check on the availability of tours as I had read that there can be a significant wait. Our wait was less than 5 minutes. The tour was well done and a little less rah-rah than the one at Jameson's--which is owned by the same company.

On to the Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge. The weather was pretty good while we were there--by that I mean that it wasn't raining. We had a picnic lunch in the car--a bit chilly to eat outside. Nice walk to the bridge, a very short wait to cross. I'm impressed that DH, who is afraid of heights, could do it. Hiked around and took pictures on both sides of the bridge--a very nice time.

Went to the Giant's Causeway--the staff there were a challenge for sure. We got conflicting information at several places, and 3 different employees would start talking over me when I was asking a question--trying to answer the question they thought I was asking (and they were wrong each time) without giving me a chance to finish it. We took a guided tour, which I think was not as good a choice as the audio tour would have been--live and learn.

We climbed around the stones for a while, hiked out to the amphitheater, up Shepherds' Steps and back to the visitor centre. All in all, we were there for about 3 hours--what an amazing place! It rained for the first few minutes of the tour, then stopped.

Went to 55 North for a lovely dinner. Sat in the corner with big windows on 2 sides, and we overlooked the beach. Our waitress was wonderful about explaining things to us; after I asked for no onions on my salad, she came back to tell me that there were onions in my main--was that OK? Very thoughtful. Both of us thought our dinners were very good.

Excellent day!

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,365 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 29 of 34: Portrush

Sounds like a good day :) The afternoon turned out not too bad at all - even a little glimpse of faint blue sky at one stage!!

We had problems with staff at the Causeway centre also last year so very disappointing that they haven't improved. To be honest, the national trust pay minimum wage (even managerial rates are very low) and employ a lot of temporary staff so I guess they aren't aiming for the top end...

Bet you're tired this evening with all that walking!!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,348 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 29 of 34: Portrush

ponaire, it's affirming to learn that you had the same difficulties--we thought we were doing something wrong.

Definitely earned my glass of hard cider today!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
386 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 29 of 34: Portrush

Glad I found your reports here in the NI forum ... I was afraid you stopped posting!

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,365 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day 29 of 34: Portrush

Good point aimee - it might be useful to post i Ireland forum or have a link to these. The Ireland forum is much busier and people may misd these.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,348 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day 29 of 34: Portrush

After I was roundly chastised for posting a question in two forums, I decided to just post this in one--but I'll do that now. Please come to my defense if I get scolded again!

I'm too ignorant to know how to provide a link. :(

grafton
Level Contributor
624 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day 29 of 34: Portrush

I too was wondering where Andee's posts had gone and decided to click on her name. I just thought I had missed them. Didn't think of looking on the Northern Ireland forum but it makes sense. Not many sleeps until you have to go home, Andee. How are you feeling about that?

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,365 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day 29 of 34: Portrush

Ah Andee, don't worry. Put in a disclaimer at the start explaining why you're doing it and that it is already on the ni forum but as part of an all ireland road trip, thought it might be useful to some.

For Belfast and Derry it is best to post on this forum but for border areas people will get a better result often on the Ireland forum as we don't have regular contributors from those areas so there's no fixed best place.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,348 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day 29 of 34: Portrush

I added the Day 28 & 29 posts to the Ireland forum, but I think that I only remembered to include the disclaimer in one of them, so we'll see what happens.

GraftonNed, Dh & I were just talking about how fast this trip has gone--and that maybe even a few more days would have been better. Before we left home, we weren't sure how this long a rip would suit us--but we've loved it.

The only other long trip we've taken was in February, when we spent a month skiing in Colorado. that was a very different trip--we stayed in one condo for the whole month, skied almost every day, so no trip planning was needed, rarely ate in restaurants, and have several friends in the area with whom we socialized.

9. Re: Day 29 of 34: Portrush

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 30, 2014