We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parkhill or Mumbles

Chester
Level Contributor
219 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Parkhill or Mumbles

I hope you can help? My problem is where to stay?

I would like to explore all of Pembrokeshire but there is only so much you can do in a week.

So I thought base myself in Swansea at the Marriot and then I can walk to Mumbles. Then thought stay at Patricks with Rooms and walk some of the coast to Three Cliffs. Then I thought Maes yr Haf, Parkhill. Now I am confused. Can anyone help?

How far if Parkhill/Three Cliffs from Mumbles. What's around Parkhill or would I be better staying in Mumbles.

Recommendation's or help needed.

Confused, Dorey

tenby
Level Contributor
194 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parkhill or Mumbles

guess you must mean parkmill on gower.

starting in swansea, some other decent hotels near the marriott area are the village, morgans, the dragon, swansea central travelodge and premier inn salubrious place. the marriott has a small pool and nice big jacuzzi. the village has a big leisure club with big gym and 25metre pool.

walk or jump on bus around the bay to the mumbles. think patricks with rooms has expanded to an adjoining building with more rooms. good location on the seafront and close to everything with lots of little shops, ice creams parlours, promenade,pier, lighthouse and gets quite busy on a weekend. also try norton house hotel and tides reach guest house which are both on/near seafront.

it is quite a walk around the coast from mumbles to three cliffs. you could easily walk from mumbles via bracelet bay(overlooks lighthouse and mumbles rock islands), limeslade, rotherslade, langland bay , caswell bay in a day. try the "little langland hotel" at rotherslade/langland which is enroute and then at caswell bay continue onto brandy cove/bishopston valley/kittle, try the winston hotel bishopston or a b+b in kittle. then walk from bishopston/kittle to southgate/pennard and onto pennard cliffs to three cliffs/parkmill.

alternative get the no.14 bus (also 14b & 14c) "pennard cliffs" from mumbles or swansea which takes you out to southgate/pennard and stay in b+b there. then walk along pennard cliffs westward towards oxwich and you'll come to three cliffs bay. from there walk up three cliffs valley and you'll come to parkmill.

parkmill is a small village on the main road which has the gower heritage centre and gower inn pub/restaurant. maesyrhaf as you mentioned which looks a nice place to stay/eat and is on the main road with bus stop opposite and at the entrance to three cliffs valley pathway walk.

buses run regularly from swansea city centre quadrant station to the mumbles and gower. the gower buses are green in clour and run by the pullman company called the "gower explorer".

another suggestion would be to get a bus from swansea straight out onto the gower and then work your way back to the mumbles. some suggestions for places to stay being llangennith, rhossilli, port eynon, oxwich, parkmill, pennard/southgate, langland bay ,etc

parkmill is bus numbers 117/118 which then continues onto oxwich (try the oxwich bay hotel on the beach), other buses go to rhossilli/worms head 119 and port eynon 115. the kings head pub/hotel at llangennith (buses 115/116/119)is really good and recently newly opened accomodation. also oldwalls leisure at llanrhidian is nice b+b.

another idea would be to walk between three cliffs bay (staying at southgate/pennard/parkmill) and oxwich (staying at oxwich bay hotel) by walking straight along the sandy beach.

rhosilli is popular with walkers because of rhossilli downs and worms head. also some great walks along milleniumn coastal path via llanelli/burry port/pembrey/kidwelly further west in carmarthenshire.

just off the top of my head,cheers ian.

Chester
Level Contributor
219 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parkhill or Mumbles

Ian, thank you for your reply. It certainly gives me something to think about as we would like to do all this. I think it would be ideal to have a few nights in the Marriot, a few nights in Mumbles and a few nights in Parkhill but I know my husband would not like to be moved once placed in a hotel/b&b etc.

tenby
Level Contributor
194 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parkhill or Mumbles

didn't know if you meant you wanted a walking holiday around gower that's why i mentioned all the buses.

all your choices of places will be ok.

swansea marriot is closer to marina and city centre so lots of shops, museums, nightlife close by and more built up urban hustle bustle.

patrick with rooms in mumbles is more family homely personal type hotel/restaurant by the seaside with promenade walks.

maesyrhaf parkmill is more in the countryside surrounded by greenery trees with more unspoilt walks down to three cliffs bay.

4. Re: Parkhill or Mumbles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 18, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Swansea