We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Swansea and the area in general

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
What to do in Swansea and the area in general

I will be in Swansea at the end of July with my 86 year old mother in law and am looking for something to do or somewhere suitable to go on a Saturday. She cannot walk far. Does anyone have any ideas? I will have a car. Are there any nice houses or gardens open nearby? Anywhere that does a nice lunch? Any suggestions greatfully received!

North Wales, UK
Level Contributor
68 posts
206 reviews
1. Re: What to do in Swansea and the area in general

It's been a few years since I've been down in the area, but I really enjoyed the Mumbles outside the city itself. Nice flat promenade for as long a stroll as your mother can manage, with parking and a lovely pavilion cafe for a spot of lunch and gorgeous ice cream. Worth a thought and maybe a look on google earth first :)

Enjoy!

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: What to do in Swansea and the area in general

Thank you for this. I will.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
108 reviews
3. Re: What to do in Swansea and the area in general

Hello,

I would agree that Mumbles is a nice area on the flat so it's good for a short walk. If you do go to Mumbles, I would recommend Castelammare. It is just around Mumbles head, has a large car park and excellent views.

castellamare.co.uk/italian-restaurant-in-mum…

If you are in Mumbles, I would recommend Joe's Ice cream Parlour - best ice cream in the world.

On the way to Mumbles is the Woodman. It is a nice pub right next to Clyne Gardens. Clyne Gardens is a really nice park, but it is quite hilly, so may not be great if your mother-in-law can't walk too far.

There are some lovely drives around Gower, and some really nice pub/restaurants on the way around (Greyhound Inn, The Britannia and The King Arthur Hotel are all very good).

Singleton Park is a large park in Swansea. It has a botanical gardens there which are quite pretty to walk around (and not too big). You would have to park on the Gower Road entrance to the park to get access to it.

Personally, I would avoid going into Swansea town centre. It is really disappointing (unless you like pound shops, charity shops or cash converters).

There aren't many stately homes that come to mind in Swansea. The closest would probably be somewhere like Margam Country Park, which is about 20 minute drive towards Cardiff on the M4 www.margamcountrypark.co.uk/Default.aspx…

Hope this helps

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: What to do in Swansea and the area in general

Your information is really useful, thank you.

Buckingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Buckinghamshire, Somme, Winchester
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
2,090 reviews
5. Re: What to do in Swansea and the area in general

Hi I would suggest a drive to the Gower and Worms head, lovely views of the awesome beaches, plenty of pleasant pubs, cafes and ice cream places. For lunch you could try the Kings head in Llangenith, it is very good and very reasonable in price.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
72,667 posts
476 reviews
6. Re: What to do in Swansea and the area in general

Work's Head is very picturesque, but Gower has lots of other lovely spots. My favourite is probably Three Cliffs Bay, with the summit of Cefn Bryn a very close second. I also love the walk down to Pwll Du Bay through Bishopston Valley.

Take your pick and enjoy, but do follow the suggestion of having a Joe's ice cream during your stay. It's the best!

Wales
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: What to do in Swansea and the area in general

Work's Head must be quite near Worm's Head ;-)

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
72,667 posts
476 reviews
8. Re: What to do in Swansea and the area in general

I am going to kick the quartz out of this cursed device. The auto correct tried to alter rcspiers to recliners and crackers just now, but I caught that.

Yes, Work's Head is supposed to be Worm's Head. :-(

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
84 reviews
9. Re: What to do in Swansea and the area in general

If you are in the town Swansea Market is certainly worth a look in, if only for the amazing cockle stalls alone. The cockles come from the Pen Clawdd area just to the North of Swansea and are as fresh as you can get. They also do laverbread and other sea food. The fish stalls are always interesting and there are plenty of other stalls worth a look at.

The Dylan Thomas Centre used to be superb, but has been scaled back a bit, but still has its permanent display about the important poets life and times in Swansea and beyond.

The Glynn Vivian Gallery has recently reopened after a long refurbishment, although I've not been since it's revamp I'm certain it will be worth a look.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
72,667 posts
476 reviews
10. Re: What to do in Swansea and the area in general

I've always liked Swansea Museum. It' s old fashioned, but maybe that's the appeal for me.

Get answers to your questions about Swansea