We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The New Inn Motel

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
california
2 posts
Save Topic
The New Inn Motel

Can anybody tell me what this place is like?

TIA,

Dave

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,563 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The New Inn Motel

Dave

I don't know the place personally but you are outside the main city on the main Newport-Chepstow road (the A48). It also has a pub with a children's indoor play area. I got this info from this website.

pub-explorer.com/southwales/pub/newinnmotell…

The location is convenient , and the place may be fine in itself but you may be looking for something different. Are you looking for just a basic overnight stopover or a base for a few days etc? This should be fine for the former but if the latter you may want something different. Let us know and perhaps I and others can help with some suggestions.

Jim

california
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The New Inn Motel

Jim,

Thanks for the info. I'm looking for accommodations during Ryder Cup 2010. I know it is a little early...but not really.

Any thoughts?

Dave

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,563 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The New Inn Motel

Hi Dave

I see! Well it might be a bit early but worth checking whether hotels are taking bookings this soon! I believe the official agents for the Ryder Cup are taking bookings from 2008. However, it might be a good idea to start thinking now and keeping an eye on developments, not least because the cities of Cardiff and Newport are going through multi-billion pound transformations at the moment, so there will be many changes between now and 2010. Cardiff's has been underway for many years and Newport's is just beginning to make headway but already this has resulted in many new hotels springing up in the area and many more are likely to emerge in the Newport area before 2010.

There are a number of hotels clustered around the immediate area you were looking in which I expect you have picked up on already (mainly serving visiting business clientele) although they keep changing name so I'm losing track of which one is where - I think they are Hilton and Holiday Inn. However, as this is just outside the city you would probably need a car to get around.

That said - if you want to be close to the Ryder Cup action a much more appealing place to stay (and as near to the venue, the Celtic Manor) would be the village of Caerleon. It has a few small hotels and guest houses but has the added appeal of its Roman ruins and Arthurian connections. By the way, the walk to the Celtic Manor from Caerleon is delightful as long as you're fit as you can follow the route up the steep wooded hill (called 'Blackash Path') coming out at a little village called Christchurch, with its old pub and church or walk up Belmont Hill which is a main road though.

Usk (another very attractive country town in its own right) is also very convenient because it is about 15 minutes by car (if that) from the Celtic Manor up the A449 (a fast dual carriageway). Chepstow is about the same driving time east of the Celtic Manor along the M4.

Also central Cardiff (which has many hotels) is only 30 minutes away from the Celtic Manor by car and as the Capital of Wales has lots of facilities and attractions, so would make a good balance of golf and other recreation.

The Usk valley is little known but is a delightful rolling rural green valley (have you seen the videos of the holes on the Celtic Manor website - the Usk Valley is in the background to many of the shots)

What sort of budget do you have? There are a number of budget and upmarket hotels, guesthouses etc in the area so you would not be spoiled for choice, as long as, as you identified, you are early enough. What I suggest you could do is come and visit say next year and take a look around the places I've mentioned (and have a round or two of golf at the Celtic Manor!)

Any more questions get in touch.

In the meantime just to give you a flavour here are some websites of the area around the venue:

http://www.celtic-manor.com/golf/index.html

www.celtic-manor.com/golf/take_a_tour.html

http://www.caerleon.net/

http://www.usktc.force9.co.uk/

visionwebsites.co.uk/Contents/Misc/Index.asp…

www.newport.gov.uk/_dc/index.cfm…

http://www.visitcardiff.info/

Newport South Wales...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: The New Inn Motel

I know this place very well, used to be our local but we haven't been in there for a very long time. Bedrooms are basic just like any motel anywhere in the country. During big football matches at the millenium stadium the landlord houses football fans which at times can be rowdy.

The pub is very tired and needs refurbishing (new carpets, furniture, better toilets, etc etc) At present it is a (two for one pub) ie two meals for the price of one, which means, its mainly bums on seats. That's why not many locals use it any more. Location wise it's a stone's throw away from the Celtic Manor (3 miles). There are another two hotels nearer the Celtic.

I live 1 mile away from the Golf course with spectacular views of the golf course. I am thinking of renting out our delightful cottage but the price has to be right as our home is very precious to us.

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The New Inn Motel

agree totally with jim,caerleon is the one for you.tho have you thought about renting a house,i know that we are thinking of renting ours out and so are many of our friends.there was talk of alex poppham the rugby guy doing this on a large scale,tho if it's just a nice place to stay you wont beat caerleon.lovely village,quaint local pubs,loads of eateries and things of enterests ie roman baths,amphitheatre (spelling) hope you enjoy it where ever you stay ok,bye.ian

6. Re: The New Inn Motel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, September 16, 2009