We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cardiff airport.

CARDIFF U.K.
Destination Expert
for Gran Canaria, Alykes, Alykanas
Level Contributor
6,549 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Cardiff airport.

I've read this morning that Cardiff airport has dropped it's much publicised trolly charges and also has installed free wi-fi throughout the terminal building. Although a positive move it needs to make more sweeping changes and must attract budget airlines to Wales for 2014 !!!!!

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cardiff airport.

It's a start!

Wales
Level Contributor
234 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cardiff airport.

If they could re-instate the Toronto flight and get a direct flight to New York, neither of which you can now get from Bristol, that would be a good move. I understand flights to Florida are being re-introduced in spring 2014

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,662 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cardiff airport.

The wi-fi only allows 30 minutes free surfing time per day. it's merely an incentive to get more people using wifi, travellers will have to pay once the 30 minutes has elapsed.

The Florida flight is just a one-off charter with Thomas Cook on the 10th April.

Edited: 1:02 pm, November 05, 2013
Wales
Level Contributor
234 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cardiff airport.

I have inside info that it may not be a one-off

Wales
Level Contributor
124 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cardiff airport.

I think we have to do all we can to support Cardiff airport.

I can manage without wifi if the flights from there can take me to where I want to go without a pre flight o/n hotel.

Nor do I want fancy shops - a newspaper stand for early morning departures suits me.

Edited: 5:05 pm, November 05, 2013
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
52,764 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cardiff airport.

If Cardiff Airport is to get my support it will need to offer more flights. Of course, airlines will be reluctant to provide flights unless they believe it will make money.

I fear that Cardiff airport is on it's last legs.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,569 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cardiff airport.

I recently used Cardiff airport for the first time in a long time, purely because the Airport Express made it far easier a journey than going all that way over to Bristol. No regrets. I left Cardiff Central bus station at 8.05am and despite it being the morning rush hour I was checking in at 8.35am. Good to see the airport turning the corner.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,859 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Cardiff airport.

Starting in the spring we can fly Aer LIngus to Cardiff from Toronto with a change of planes in Dublin. We have often flown with KLM from Toronto to Amsterdam and then City Hopper to Cardiff. Not as good as a direct non stop flight but better than nothing. Easier than going to Heathrow and transferring to the train or coach and having to handle the luggage.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
380 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cardiff airport.

Personally I think Cardiff airport would be better off just concentrating on long haul flights they have the runway for it, Bristol hasn't.

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cardiff airport.

Bristol had direct flights to the US many years ago. It's a few of the new planes that need longer runways - 787 for one that needs a longer runway. Birmingham airport are currently extending theirs to accommodate them.