We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Day in Cardiff

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
102 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
A Day in Cardiff

My husband and I will be in London for 10 days in March. I'm hoping to spend a day in Cardiff. We'd like to visit Cardiff Castle, St Fagans and The Doctor Who Experience. Are we trying to do too much considering we'll be taking the train back to London in the afternoon/evening? Is there something else we shouldn't miss?

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Cardiff
Cardiff
South Wales, UK
Cardiff Castle
Cardiff Castle
5,192 Reviews
Cardiff, UK
Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
9,059 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Day in Cardiff

Doctor Who experience should take 60 - 90 minutes and it will take 15-20 minutes traveling each way from the city centre.

St Fagans, you could easily spend a whole day there and half a day is at least what I'd allow. Bus from the city centre takes about 20-25 mins each way.

Depends what time exactly you're arriving and leaving and obviously you need to factor in time for eating, etc.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
80 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Day in Cardiff

St Fagans is a good 3 - 4 hours but is well worth the time. As for the Castle, it really depends what you want to see, you could do the basics in an hour. I haven't been to the Dr Who Experience so I can't comment. 3 good stops though!

3. Re: A Day in Cardiff

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:55 pm, July 29, 2013
4. Re: A Day in Cardiff

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:08 am, August 10, 2013
Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
11 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Day in Cardiff

Thank you for your reply. All the information I can get will be helpful eventually!

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
102 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Day in Cardiff

Thank you for your advice. I'm looking forward to visiting Cardiff!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Day in Cardiff

I'm from just outside Cardiff but live in London. If you're planning to do Cardiff in a day, leave early. The train takes a couple of hours, but of course depending on where you're staying in London you'll have to factor in getting to Paddington.

St Fagans is excellent, but with no car and on a day trip you're at the mercy of the local buses or paying for taxis. You really do need to spend a good few hours there. I think if you only have one day see the city. It's small enough to see most things and get the atmosphere within walking distance of Cardiff Central station.There's the National Museum of Wales in the city centre. You could also do one of the guided tours of the castle. Weather permitting there's lovely parks. You can get the water taxi from Bute park to Cardiff Bay. Whilst in the bay you could go to the Millennium centre.

Personally, I'd say do an overnight stay in Cardiff if possible (much cheaper than. London). You could do everything city based one day and then St Fagans the next day.

There's lots of restaurants and bars in the city centre as well.

Edited: 7:07 pm, August 06, 2013
Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Cardiff
Cardiff
South Wales, UK
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
Bute Park
Bute Park
1,498 Reviews
Cardiff, UK
Cardiff Bay
Cardiff Bay
5,267 Reviews
Cardiff, UK
Wales Millennium Centre
Wales Millennium Centre
2,390 Reviews
Cardiff, UK
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
102 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A Day in Cardiff

Staying overnight is a good idea. Since we have nothing booked yet I still have plenty of flexibility. Someone suggested on another forum to head straight to Salisbury from Heathrow and spend a night there to be up early for the Stone Circle Access the next day. Now I'm thinking we can do 1 night in Salisbury, the next night in Cardiff, then head in to London for the remainder of the trip.

Thanks for your suggestions! I don't want to regret not spending enough time in Cardiff.

Mentioned in this post
Salisbury
Salisbury
Wiltshire, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Cardiff
Cardiff
South Wales, UK
London
London
England, UK
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A Day in Cardiff

You are trying to fit in a lot if you expect to visit Salisbury and Cardiff in two days. Leaving Salisbury in the morning and leaving Cardiff for London the next morning won't really allow you much time to enjoy either place. Don't fall into the trap of thinking you needto move around a lot.

Salisbury and area has plenty to keep you busy for more than a couple of days and the same is true for Cardiff. Maybe choose fewer locations and enjoy more

Mentioned in this post
Salisbury
Salisbury
Wiltshire, UK
Cardiff
Cardiff
South Wales, UK
London
London
England, UK
10. Re: A Day in Cardiff

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 16, 2014