We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnighter in Cardiff

England
13 posts
Save Topic
Overnighter in Cardiff

My wife and I are planning on taking an overnight trip from London to Cardiff by train. Either of us have ever been there and would like some suggestions on decent well located but reasonably priced hotels for the night and what to do for a day trip. Any suggestions would be great. We are planning on arriving the 23rd of June and leaving the 24th in order to make it back to London for the remainder of the O2 Festival.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,987 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnighter in Cardiff

How about the Big Sleep (part owned by john malkovic)by the Queen Street railway station or Holiday Inn Express by the Bay - both fairly low cost hotels, basic, clean and central.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,621 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnighter in Cardiff

I'd be really hesitant to recommend 'budget places' in the city centre - because people's tastes vary so much - looking at the reviews on this site the same hotel can be called anything from 'great value' to 'dump' in the same week by two different reviewers. You might be lucky but the old addage 'you get what you pay for' seems to be more true than ever in Cardiff at the moment.

However, the reviews on this site should be a big help to you.

Can you give me an idea of what sort of budget you have in mind and perhaps I can help a bit more?

As for a day trip I would suggest spend the morning in the city centre doing a hop on hop off with the city sightseeing bus - if the weather is good Cardif Bay would be worth exploring, if bad take the castle tour.

In the afternoon get bus 32 from stand B1 at the central bus station (leaves about quarter past the hour) and go to the Welsh National History Museum at St Fagans on the edge of the city - a marvellous (and free) 100 acre park filled with furnished buildings from all over Wales where you can sample and buy Welsh foods and produce, hear the Welsh language in daily use and wander along the pths and through the gardens.

Here's the link:

http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/stfagans/

Get in touch if you have any more questions.

Mentioned in this post
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
3. Re: Overnighter in Cardiff

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 am, August 16, 2009