We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Cardiff--how to do it?

Which Cardiff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC Area
Level Contributor
291 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
London to Cardiff--how to do it?

I'm currently debating visitng London solo for about 5 days (no car) in July. wondering if I can fit in a trip to Cardiff... This sounds ridiculous but I'm a huge fan of the tv show Doctor Who and I think it's filmed there...my question: can see a good enough bit of Cardiff as a day trip from London and if so, how is that done? and what do you recommend i see?

Washington, DC Area
Level Contributor
291 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: London to Cardiff--how to do it?

about ten more days to go...and i'm off to Cardiff!!!

i just received my tourists pubs from the visitwales website in the mail today. It includes the "Rough Guide to Wales"...it's quite cute and pocketsize. I was surprised there wasnt more info on Cardiff within the package, but it's not like i need it. this board has been heaps of help, thanks!

And I'll submit a trip report...not that I will have much to write. I get into cardiff at 11am and leave at 5 or so. wishing and hopin' you know, who, is on location. and i hope the weather is nice!

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: London to Cardiff--how to do it?

Hi Roadtravr

Have a fab trip - just to make you jealous my son's friend was filmed for Dr Who/Torchwood (???) the other day.

We are going to be extras in filming taking place next week - not DW but some other production in Cardiff - I tell you - eat your heart out Hollywood - this really seems to be production central!

Washington, DC Area
Level Contributor
291 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: London to Cardiff--how to do it?

JimCardiff>,

you totally made my brown eyes turn green with envy!

that must have been an awesome experience, being in the mix like that. just curious...what time of day did the filming take place?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,777 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: London to Cardiff--how to do it?

Just a wee update about Dr Who's new sidekick - they are starting filming v. soon if not already, in Cardiff.

check out the BBC website report:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5146666.stm

Hve a great trip roadtravlr and don't forget the report!

NYC
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: London to Cardiff--how to do it?

You got me really interested, went to the Wales site, ordered their tour supplies ... I'm thinking of doing the same thing on my next trip - probably in May of 07 ... and taking a train from Paddington about the same one you quoted, but returning a bit later - I'd eat dinner in Cardiff before returning around 8 pm.

The fare quoted on the train site didn't make much sense to me Single one way to Cardiff 11 GBP, and Single one way from Cardiff - the same - but round trip is 54 GBP? How does that happen? Very confused!

I'll just get two singles, when the time comes.

Enjoy and I can't wait to read your trip report. Ta. MMM!

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: London to Cardiff--how to do it?

Hi MMM

Glad to have got you hooked! Now then - this is what you need to do - defy your better judgement and stay for one night in Cardiff at this gem of a place which has recently opened up on the northern edge of Cardiff - it's a 400 year old farmhouse which is just a few hundred yards from where we live and which we have watched being restored and where we head frequently to pick fruit, feed the horses etc:

http://www.gelynisfarm.co.uk/

Although it looks in the middle of nowhere it is actually on the edge of the city (although the M4 motorway can be heard it does not distract or detract). That way your dinner in Cardiff you mentioned can be taken at the nearby Gwaelod y Garth Inn which is an excellent place to eat in an excellent setting - clinging to the steep wooded hillside of the village of the same name. The other week we ate some great Welsh food there - laverbread, and Welsh Black Beef included - here is a picture of the village - you wouldn't believe that behind that hill is Cardiff:

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Gwaelod-y-garth-ph…

By the way - as for that train fare it sounds a bit barmy - I expect you may need to check nearer the time as neither the £54 nor the £11 sound right - I seem to remember it being somewhere in between for off peak advanced purchase though I may be wrong - and fares may have changed etc.

Jim

NYC
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: London to Cardiff--how to do it?

Wow! That B&B is beautiful. I'm going to have to do some rethinking of my plans - and realocating of funds ... maybe even have to do some extra work to earn some additional funds I wouldn't want to check out of my hotel in London and have to check back in again ... and wouldn't want to cart that much luggage with me either ... But paying for two hotels for one night, that may be a bit too rich for me. Then again, Hmmm.

Thanks for the speedy and fabulous response though ... and to the Black Country query as well.

Think I'll take my Stephen Booth and go sit outside before it gets too hot, hazy and humid in NYC and read and think. If I cut out a few things between now and then .... hmmmmm

Ta. MMM!

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: London to Cardiff--how to do it?

ho ho MMM! Sorry to have thrown you into confusion!!!! I see your point about the hotel bill though - one thing you can guarantee though is that the B&B is unlikely to go away after being around for 400 years! So perhaps stick to the daytrip plan for now and come back for longer next time.

Enjoy your book!

Jim

NYC
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: London to Cardiff--how to do it?

This is copied from the UK rail link I was on for getting a fare from Paddington to Cardiff

You can choose a different ticket for your outward and return trip, to suit your journey requirements.

Single from

£11.00 Click here for single fares

Return Fares

The circles below correspond to the journey options above. Click here for important information.

SAVER RETURN

£54.00

That's what was confusing! Ta for now ... MMM!