We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cardiff Bay question

Cambridgeshire UK
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Topic
Cardiff Bay question

Is there much of a nightlife in the this area? I am trying to think of things for my husband and I to do in the evening once we are done with out sightseeing during the day, I know that there are restaurants in that area, but what else is there to do there.

I also saw a post about some speed boats that take you out to an island that starts with an F, I went to the website but it didn't give prices. Does anyone know if they are expensive, and do they give tours every few hours?

Thanks in advance!

Missoula
Bars & Clubs, Dance Clubs & Discos, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Other Food & Drink
Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cardiff Bay question

Hi Tara0925

Yes as you pointed out there are lots of bars and restaurants on the waterfront. Cardiff Bay also has the Wales Millennium Centre which has the Welsh National Opera performing when you are visiting (it may be sold out but you might get returns if you are keen). Also there is a Glee Club in Mermaid Quay. Also the Red Dragon Centre (which most local people still call the UCI) has 12 cinema screens, nightclub, bar and restaurants.

All these places are a few steps from each other so you can take your choice fairly easily.

I don't recall the Bay Island Voyages being expensive - it's more important that you book ahead as they fill up. They do several different trips a day. I think the island you are thinking of is Flatholm

Mentioned in this post
Cardiff Bay
Cardiff Bay
5,212 Reviews
Cardiff, UK
Welsh National Opera
Welsh National Opera
38 Reviews
Cardiff, UK
The Glee Club
The Glee Club
210 Reviews
Cardiff, UK
Mermaid Quay
Mermaid Quay
711 Reviews
Cardiff, UK
The Red Dragon Centre
The Red Dragon Centre
76 Reviews
Cardiff, UK
Bay Island Voyages
Bay Island Voyages
129 Reviews
Cardiff, UK
Wales
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cardiff Bay question

Hi Tara

Here's the web site about the trips to Flatholm Island. www.cardiffcats.com/BayIslandIndex.html.

Cambridgeshire UK
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cardiff Bay question

Thanks for all of the information. I called Bay's Voyages and was told that it's 25GBP per person for the tour, but due to high winds last weekend, they are expecting the same for this weekend and not running the voyages. We are really excited about the trip and can't wait to explore Cardiff and the surrounding area.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cardiff Bay question

Hi Tara

Hope you enjoy your trip - the weather looks as though it could settle a bit over the weekend. Don't forget to post a trip report afterwards.

Jim

Cardiff
Level Contributor
5 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cardiff Bay question

Yes and as Jim rightly said there is plenty to do at Cardiff bay. Also by bus, the city center is just a few minutes away.

Flatholm, is probably worth a visit when the weather is warm and sunny. £25 pp sounds a lot to me, but what ever you want I guess.

If its restaurants you want, look out for restaurants in Pontcanna or Cowbridge rd areas, taxi is easy to these places. If you do some searching you will find some nice restaurants that are very popular with the locals.

Good luck with the plans

Muck

6. Re: Cardiff Bay question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, August 15, 2009