We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for a Cardiff-based long weekend

Amsterdam...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice for a Cardiff-based long weekend

Hello there,

I will be visiting Wales for a long weekend in January and I have chosen Cardiff as my base. Is it do-able, considered the limited amount of time, to visit Brecon Beacons or Pembrokeshire by means of public transport? Are there other nature sites worth visiting without the use of a car?

Mentioned in this post
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
Cardiff
Cardiff
South Wales, UK
Cardiff
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for a Cardiff-based long weekend

Brecon Beacons can be easily reached by bus on weekdays (but not Sundays in winter). Route T4 from Cardiff Bus Station takes 90 minutes to Brecon on a very interesting route and operates every 2 hours.

stagecoachbus.com/PdfUploads/Timetable_22511…

What I would recommend is do a circular route: T4 Cardiff-Brecon; Route 43 or X43 Brecon-Abergavenny and lastly X3 / X33 Abergavenny-Cardiff. You will see a lot of beautiful countryside plus other aspects of South Wales. It can just about be done in the daylight even on a January day if you start off on the 1020 T4 from Cardiff. Ask for a South Wales Day Networker Rider ticket on the first bus and you can use the same ticket all day (including on Cardiff Buses). Costs £7.70. Good value

Cardiff is a very green city itself: Try to stay near Bute Park / Pontcanna Fields (lots of accommodation in Cathedral Road area) and you will have masses of nature on the doorstep plus walking distance to city centre. Also try Roath Park, Cardiff Bay etc. Day to go ticket at £3.40 allows you unlimited travel on Cardiff Bus in Cardiff.

Winter transport is more limited on Sundays.

Enjoy

PS. Pembrokeshire could be done but not so feasible in one day in the winter. A bit more realistic is to visit Swansea and explore the Gower Peninsula.

http://visitswanseabay.com/explorebybus

Mentioned in this post
Cardiff
Cardiff
South Wales, UK
Brecon
Brecon
Brecon Beacons National Park, UK
Abergavenny
Abergavenny
Monmouthshire, UK
South Wales
South Wales
Wales, UK
Bute Park
Bute Park
1,498 Reviews
Cardiff, UK
Roath Park
Roath Park
927 Reviews
Cardiff, UK
Swansea
Swansea
Swansea County, UK
Gower Peninsula
Gower Peninsula
1,727 Reviews
Swansea, UK
Amsterdam...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for a Cardiff-based long weekend

Many thanks for the great and detailed advice.

At this point I have come up with the following plan for my trip in January:

Friday: arrival and spending the night in Cardiff.

Saturday: move from Cardiff to Tintern Abbey and then to Raglan Castle and spend the night near there.

Sunday: Move from Raglan to Caerphilly Castle and back to Cardiff.

Monday: Relaxing in Cardiff and back to Holland.

Does this seem realistic.?

I know about the difficulties with public transport on Sundays and the distance from Raglan to Caerphilly is the biggest of this trip.

Mentioned in this post
Cardiff
Cardiff
South Wales, UK
Tintern Abbey
Tintern Abbey
1,293 Reviews
Chepstow, UK
Raglan Castle
Raglan Castle
677 Reviews
Raglan, UK
Caerphilly Castle
Caerphilly Castle
1,526 Reviews
Caerphilly, UK
Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
9,059 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for a Cardiff-based long weekend

Think the trip from Raglan to Caerphilly will involve going nearly back to Cardiff with a bus to Newport and then another to Caerphilly. Which begs the question of why you would lug all your stuff to Raglan via Tintern for just a one night stay, you might as well just stay in Cardiff leaving your luggage there and return from Raglan after seeing the castle.

That apart, whilst the itinerary isn't unrealistic as such as long as you're organised enough to be in the right places at the rights times for those infrequent buses doing it on public transport (especially on a Sunday) it doesn't appeal to me as particularly fun. If you drive at all then hiring a car for a day would allow you to get to those places far more easily and conveniently (and see more besides). Otherwise have you looked into organised tours which go to those places? Tbh not sure what the range of availability of those would be especially in winter, but just a thought.

Mentioned in this post
Cardiff
Cardiff
South Wales, UK
Newport
Newport
South Wales, UK
Perth
Level Contributor
12 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for a Cardiff-based long weekend

Have you thought of doing an organised tour? Based on the places that you are wanting to do, I know that 'See Wales' offers itineraries that would cover those places. I'm not a fan of tours myself, but I really enjoyed these ones as they were quite small and a lot of fun. I ended up doing each of the 3 day tours and had a blast. It does depend on your budget though.

5. Re: Advice for a Cardiff-based long weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 11, 2014