We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Davids Wales

Williamsburg...
6 posts
Save Topic
St Davids Wales

We will be spending 3 nights in London in mid August and then on to a timeshare in St. Davids. Our thought is to take a train from London to Cardiff and rent a car there for our one week stay in St. Davids and surrounding area. We are four Senior citizens. Any advice?

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: St Davids Wales

St. David's is a wonderful place. My favourite part of the UK. Your plan sounds ok. If you wanted to save 40 miles or so of boring motorway driving, you could take the train as far as Swansea and rent the car there. I know Alamo has an agency there, and there are others.

Portskewett, United...
Level Contributor
838 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Davids Wales

Was in St Davids myself last week!!

The Cathedral is awe inspiring - try and go when the choir is practising - it will give you goosebumps!

I would say get the train to Swansea - its then only about three quarters of an hour to an hour on to St Davids.

Go to Tenby, Manobier Castle and bay, Newgale beach, Pendine beach to see where the land speed records were set in the 20's and 30's, Pembroke Castle and Boradhaven, Little Haven and Solva are nice quaint little vilages. A must is a trip to Caldy Island where the Cistercian monks still live. Its very tranquil and if you walk up to beyond the lighthouse you will see the seals sunning themselves on the rocks.

If you want a "blow out" meal try the Plantagenate in Tenby - you will need to book for a weekend. Barny the convivial host will show you his chimney - I will leave you to find out what that means!! but fab food there but not cheap!

Haverfordwest has a local farmers produce market on a Friday -everything from organic meats, locally caught crabs and lobster to cheeses, eggs, jams, breads and lots more - its alongside the river.

Hvae a lovely trip

Sarah

Williamsburg...
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: St Davids Wales

Thanks for the good advice. Do you think we should purchase our rail tickets before we get to London? Is there a savings in doing so or should we just buy them at the rail station in London for the open round trip to Swansea? St. Davids and the beaches sound wonderful. My Husbands great grandfather came from Swansea and it will be exciting to search for some roots. Any thoughts.

Portskewett, United...
Level Contributor
838 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Davids Wales

The railway company which operates the London Swansea route is First Great Western (www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk) - its advisable to buy well in advance and avoid peak commuter times - tickets will then be much cheaper than turning up on the day - also reserve seats when you book - its free but our trains are so packed its a must. Expect to pay from about ��30 ish GBP for a return ticket off peak - be aware they have restrictions on use the cheaper they are.

Sarah

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: St Davids Wales

Just to add to what Sarah said. You will not get a cheap ticket if you specify open return. You will need to choose a specific return train to get any deal.

Mid August is prime tourist time. If this is a Saturday to Saturday rental, you will find the trains very busy, because Saturdays are the standard arrival/departure days for self-catering and holiday camp vacations. Availability of cheap train tickets may be scant. Also, if it is Saturday, you will need to be at the car rental depot before noon.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Davids Wales

First, get yourself several Ordnance Survey Explorer maps (1:25,000 scale) to really appreciate this marvelous bit of Britain. We spent a week there last year, based out of St. David's, and loved it. The maps are inspirations. We had already planned a trip to the Preseli Hills, but were positively stoked when we found St. Elvis Rock on the same map! (St. Elvis was St. David's cousin.)

Do you have any place names besides Swansea for your husband's family? A surname even? There just might be something, just a farmstead for instance, that's relevant and named on an OS map.

You can look up Ordnance Survey in the forum's search function. There's all sorts of information on what's available, how to get them, how to use them, and why.

I'll write more later; there's so much there and so little time right now.

Conwy.North Wales
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Davids Wales

I would agree if you rent a car you would see much more, driving around Pembrokshire is good not much traffic to deal with.

An O survey map is a great idea, I think there is a new one just been published because parts of the countryside have now opened up to visitors/walkers.

there are some good walks, and of course you cannot get lost.

The coast line around the area is lovely try St David's Head.

cardiff, s-wales...
Level Contributor
375 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Davids Wales

if any spare time in cardiff would strongly recommend a day out at st fagins castle visited there on sunday and had lovely day out very informative loved the cottages through the ages and bought hot home-made bread made traditionally.

Pembrokeshire...
Level Contributor
258 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Davids Wales

You will definitely want a car to see Pembrokeshire properly but I agree that the trains can be very busy. If you have the option when you're booking to reserve seats, do so.

There is so much for you to see - from towns with the tradition tourist traps but that are still small and charming e.g Tenby to remote coastline with breathtaking cliffs and beaches.

St David's is a wonderful place to stay and there's a great restaurant I can recommend called Morgan's Brasserie. The food is excellent, entrees cost approx $20 but you can eat fish and chips from newspaper for the rest of your stay. Wonderful fish and chips in St Davids!

A tip for when you're in London. Generally restaurants that you stumble upon in tourist places are expensive and pretty awful. Have a look on the internet before you for some tips or even think about booking somewhere for one night so you get a decent meal. There is great food in London but you need to know where it is! If I have any specific ideas, I'll post them here later.

Have a great trip!

Williamsburg...
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: St Davids Wales

Thanks for all the good advice. It certainly will help to make our trip an enjoyable one. We will be renting a car in Swansea and the heads up about 1PM closing was a good one. We are getting very excited about our trip.