We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adventure around Cardiff

Cardiff, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Adventure around Cardiff

Hey all,

Some plans fell through and I'm currently cooling my heels in Cardiff until I fly to Dublin on Wednesday. We're on a shoestring budget and relying entirely on public transport and either hostels or campgrounds.

I'd like to see the Brecon Beacons but the logistics are proving a bit complex. I know there used to be a bus running from Cardiff to the Storey Arms stop, making a day trip to Pen y Fan possible, but I can't seem to find out if that's still in operation. Is there any way to climb the mountain and get back to Cardiff in a day? Failing that, are there any campsites within the Brecon Beacons which are accessible (at least primarily) via public transport? Failing both of those things, any suggestions on what I can do using only public transport and hostels/camping for the next few nights? I'd like to see some of Wales' natural beauty. Suggestions on trips within the Brecon Beacons are appeciated as well.

Sorry my questions are a bit vague. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Edited: 2:02 pm, June 13, 2014
Wales
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adventure around Cardiff

Hi there

This site might help - travelbreconbeacons.info/exploring-the-park/… The T4 bus goes north from Cardiff via the Brecon Beacons. Download the spreadsheet for the timetable and scroll down for the northbound buses.

There aren't that many services a day, but you can see that the journey from Cardiff to Storey Arms isn't too long so you may be able to get out for part of the day at least.

Hope that helps

St. Dogmaels...
Level Contributor
297 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adventure around Cardiff

I got this from the http://www.traveline-cymru.info/ free website hope it helps:

Bus

(1h 17m)

Leave08:21 Cardiff, Kingsway, Stop GC

Service Number:T4

Provider: Stagecoach in South Wales

Route:Cardiff - Pontypridd - Merthyr Tydfil - Brecon - Newtown

Arrive09:38 Glyn Tarell, Storey Arms, A470

Walk

(<1m)

Leave09:38 Glyn Tarell, Storey Arms, A470

Arrive09:38 Glyn Tarell, Storey Arms, A470

If you're in Cardiff, the museum is free to go round and you can spend a day just looking at the art work.

Barry is an easy beach to get to on the train (check times on the traveline- cymru website)

if you don't mind cycling you can hire bikes http://www.cardiffcycletours.com/bike-hire/

plus St Fagans National History Museum is free to go round and http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/stfagans/

Current Alerts

Advice Note

Please allow plenty of time between connecting services to ensure you meet your connection.

Remember to check alerts pages before you travel.

Diversions to Cardiff Bus Routes due to Closure of Cowbridge Road East, Sun 15 June 2014

Diversions to Cardiff Bus Routes due to Closure of Cowbridge Road East, Sun 15 June 2014

Stagecoach 136 Cardiff - Pentyrch - Creigiau Evening Service to continue

Stagecoach 136 Cardiff - Pentyrch - Creigiau Evening Service to continue

Stagecoach Bus Evening Service 136, Cardiff - Pentyrch - Creigiau to run

Stagecoach Bus Evening Service 136, Cardiff - Pentyrch - Creigiau to run

New Greyhound Timetable, from Sun 4 May 2014

New Greyhound Timetable, from Sun 4 May 2014

Cardiff Bus Summer Service 91 City Centre to Penarth Pier, Sun 1 Jun - Sun 28 Sep 2014

Cardiff Bus Summer Service 91 City Centre to Penarth Pier, Sun 1 Jun - Sun 28 Sep 2014

Closure of Cardiff Bus Customer Service Centre, from Sat 29 Mar 2014

Closure of Cardiff Bus Customer Service Centre, from Sat 29 Mar 2014

Changes to Cardiff Bus Services and Fares, from Sun 20 Apr 2014

Changes to Cardiff Bus Services and Fares, from Sun 20 Apr 2014

Cardiff Bus 52 Cardiff Met Holiday Timetable, Sun 15 Jun - Sun 21 Sep 2014

Cardiff Bus 52 Cardiff Met Holiday Timetable, Sun 15 Jun - Sun 21 Sep 2014

Saved Searches

No saved journeys.

Travelling from:

Cardiff Central Station, Cardiff

Going to:

St Fagans National History Museum, Cardiff

Departs at:

15/06/201410:30

Arrives at:

15/06/201410:53

Duration of journey:

23 mins

Mode(s):

Bus

View route on map

Mode Times Locations Detail

Bus

(23m)

Leave10:30 Cardiff, Bus Station, Stand C5, Central Square

Service Number:32

Provider: City Sightseeing

Route:Cardiff - St Fagans Folk Museum

Full PDF Timetable

View leg map

Arrive10:53 St Fagans, Castle Hill Court, SW-bound, Castle Hillis free

3. Re: Adventure around Cardiff

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 pm, July 19, 2015