We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wales in 5 days

Maribor, Slovenia
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Topic
Wales in 5 days

Dear traveleres,

I hope you'll help me in planning my itinerary.

My friend and I are planning to visit Cardiff, 27 July to 1 August 2006. I already have a reservation for accommodation in Cardiff and we're planning to do daily trips through Wales with rented car. We will arrive and depart from Bristol, visit Madonna's show on 30 Jul and the rest of the time we'll be discovering Wales. It would be very helpful to suggest me few itineraries.

Thank you for your help and regards!

Jaka

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wales in 5 days

Hi Jaka

I hope you have a great time here in Wales (Wales is to the UK what Slovenia is to Austria and central Europe - get my drift - we can't match your mountains but we can (almost) match your passion and hopes for your country (and the spirit in Cardiff at the moment can hopefully match the spirit of Lublijuana).

What sort of things are you interested in doing and seeing while you are here? I'm sure we can help you have a great few days.

Maribor, Slovenia
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wales in 5 days

Thank you Jim for replying.

Well, I would like to see some cultural and natural heritage sites, some lovely villages, perhaps few interesting museums (but not too many), everything interesting what is in a daily reach from Cardiff. By the way, how much time do I have to calculate for a drive from Bristol airport to Cardiff?. Thanks.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wales in 5 days

Hi Jaka

Allow around 90 minutes for the drive from Bristol airport to Cardiff. Do you have your route planned or do you have a good map? The drive between the airport and the motorway is not an easy one as you either have to work your way through part of Bristol, or head east and go through the countryside.

If you are hiring a car it might be far easier for you not to pick it up from Bristol airport, but instead get the airport shuttle bus to Bristol Temple Meads railway station and catch the train to Cardiff (many people I know who have done this have said it has worked out very well). The trains are quite regular and the journey by train is about half an hour.

You could then hire your car from Cardiff.

In terms of what to see within daily reach from Cardiff, you have many choices. Cardiff itself has lots of sites. Check out the postings on the CArdiff page (and the Wales page) as there are frequent discussions about what to see and information on these. For Cardiff I would recommend a tour of the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff Castle and Museum. The St Fagans National History Museum (actually a 100 acre park filled with Welsh buildings rescued and restored from all over Wales). Cardiff Bay is a great place to hang out - the Millennium Centre, NAtional Assembly Building as well as lots of cafes, restaurants and bars.

some more info on Cardiff with good weblinks to surrounding places:

http://www.cardiff.gov.uk/content.asp?id=694

You might want to try out the Bay Island Voyages - high speed boat trips out into the Bristol Channel - gret fun but you need to book ahead well in advance - if the weather is bad it is still fun

www.cardiffcats.com/BayIslandIndex.html

There are some good websites about Southern Wales, listing things to do and see, which should give you some ideas:

http://www.southernwales.com/

or this one

www.south-wales.org.uk

If you want to browse through these first and then start getting some shrtlists of things I am happy to help.

Also check out www.castlewales.com

As well as historical sites the landscape in Wales is very attractive, especially the Brecon Beacons, the Gower and Pembrokeshire (you can visit Pembrokeshire in a day but it would be a long day - allow a drive of up to 3 hours one way).

You might want to do an organised tour, to give you a break from driving:

http://www.buswales.co.uk/

Hope this helps. Come back if you need any further questions answered

jimcaerdydd@yahoo.co.uk

Maribor, Slovenia
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wales in 5 days

Dear Jim,

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards!

Crab Island...
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wales in 5 days

Hi Jaka.

One of the few things Jim forgot to mention is, that if you drive from Bristol to Cardiff you have to cross the (river) Severn bridge. This is a toll bridge and costs around £5, CASH ONLY, so make sure you have some British money with you.

Hope you have a great time here......Phredd.

6. Re: Wales in 5 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, August 13, 2009