We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip in february

London, United...
Level Contributor
124 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
trip in february

We are planning to go in a weekend trip in Brecon Beacons at the end of February. We will be 2 couples.

I saw the pics on google that are very beautiful. But I have no idea what we can do in February or where can we go. I mean I would like to see waterfalls, mountains...does anyone have any idea for an itinerary?

what about a nice place and not to expensive where we can stay over night?

Thank you!

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,505 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip in february

What you can do and where to go depends on a variety of things.

1. How good at map reading are you?

2. How fit are you?

3. How good is your walking gear?

It could be raining - miserable on the hills

It could be snow covered - great if you know what you are doing

Places to stay - There is a village called Abercrave in the West of the Beacons with a few places to stay - Abercrave Inn great place with a good restaurant attached. Copper Beech - used to have a good reputation but do not know about now. Ancient Briton - A pub with rooms. Some of the rooms are cramped. The food is good pub fare.

To see - Henrydd Falls, the tallest in Wales is only a short drive away.

The famous waterfall walk from Ystradfelte is about a 20 mins drive away and if you have two cars you could leave one at a car park in Pontneddfechan. Then you could walk from Ystradfelte to Pontneddfechan if you have decent clothing.

If you only have heavy duty trainers then from the tourist info place at Pontneddfechan (closed in winter) there is a walk up to "Lady Falls".

A good drive round the mountains would be from Abercrave drive down the A470 for about 3 miles to Gurnos. Head west along the A4068 for about 5 miles to Brynamman then take the A4069 through the Black Mountain to Pont Aber and on to Pont -ar-llechau. Here head East on a minor road to the Cross Inn. This is no longer a pub but a cafe next to a Red Kite feeding station. The birds are fed at 1pm in winter and 2pm in summer (I think I've got the times right!!). From here continue east for a few miles until you driven through a forest and a small hamlet with a phone box then take next sharp right, about half a mile later back to Abercrave. On this route you will probably see as well as the mountains, Red kites, sheep and possibly wild ponies. There are some great walks in the mountains you are driving round IF your map reading is good and your clothing is suitable.

Ordnance maps 1:50,000 number 160 for driving or 1:25 000 for walking are what is needed!!

If you are interested then I can provide more details!!

Cheers

Bob

Brecon, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: trip in february

Afraid I would have to disagree with above poster.

If you are coming for a short weekend your best bet is to stay in or close to Brecon and explore the area around Pen-y- Fan which is the most dramatic part of the Beacons.

Not convinced that Abercrave is the best place for a short visit and Henrydd Falls are far from being the highest in Wales

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,505 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip in february

Re the Henrydd Falls. They are not the highest falls BUT are according to National Trust and Beacons National Park "The highest one drop falls" in Wales.

The area around Pen-y-Fan is very dramatic for walking but for a drive, we will have to disagree!

Forgot to say that 1:25 000 map is number OL12

Brecon Beacons...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: trip in february

Blaen Y Glyn near Talybont, Brecon are lovely waterfalls and very accessible even during the bad weather. Also as already said above, the waterfalls near Ystradfellte are good too.

Pen Y Fan is good for walking, also the Black Mountains are sometimes overlooked but are just as nice.

Look at www.breconcottages.com for somewhere to stay, they have a wide selection of propeties in the National Parks and would be happy to help you find somewhere.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,505 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip in february

I was an hour out in the times for Red Kite feeding It should be 2pm in winter, 3pm in summer

London, United...
Level Contributor
124 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip in february

thank you all for replies, I am looking forward to visit Brecon Beacons. Probably it will be on 16th, 17th of February.

What about the steam train?

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,505 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip in february

For the railway google "Brecon mountain railway". It looks as though it only runs on weekends and school holidays during the winter!

Enjoy your holiday!!

Abergavenny
Level Contributor
17 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trip in february

Tourist Information Centre in Brecon, can help find accommodation, Tel 01874622485, and some good websites to have a look at are http://www.breconbeaconstourism.co.uk or breconbeacons.org/visit-us/things-to-do-and-…

Hope the weather is kind and that you enjoy your trip

Julie

London, United...
Level Contributor
124 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trip in february

thank you so much!

I hope that everything will be just perfect...as Wales is a perfect place to see ;)

10. Re: trip in february

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 30, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Brecon Beacons...
More Brecon Beacons National Park Topics