We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

location recommendation

Level Contributor
143 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
location recommendation

recommendation for overnight stay. Want to be close to town in order to walk to pubs/restaurants (no drinking and driving)..

Brecon, abergavenny, crickhowell, llandovery. Which would be best.

Appreciated your help.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: location recommendation

A trickier question to answer than it might seem.

Possibly an overstatement and it's easy to find exceptions, but in general throughout south-east Wales, the standards at town restaurants are typically a lot lower than those at the country pubs. I guess the country pubs have to try harder to get people to come out to them.

Crickhowell has at least one well-regarded hotel and restaurant (the Bear) but it is a much smaller place than either Brecon or Abergavenny. On the other hand, both Brecon and Abergavenny are good-sized towns with plenty of comfortable pubs. My tentative picks for food would be the Castle in Brecon or the Angel in Abergavenny (although it's some years since I've had the chance to eat in either). I know Llandovery far less well.

In your situation, I would stay at one of the excellent pub/restaurants in the countryside - the Hardwick just outside Abergavenny and the Griffin at Felinfach just outside Brecon both have rooms, as does the Bell at Skenfrith, and some of the other outstanding restaurants in the area may do, too. As a compromise, you could stay in Abergavenny and take a cab out to the Hardwick, Foxhunter, Walnut Tree or one of the other great countryside restaurants in the area.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: location recommendation

We stayed in Brecon and found the pubs deeply disappointing. The next time we stayed in Hay-on-Wye which was much better. Further north (if it's possible for you), Ludlow would be equally as good and - IMHO - Bishop's Castle beats them all !

Edited: 2:18 pm, January 02, 2013
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
11,019 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: location recommendation

Why a town? How about villages?

Try Abercrave Inn in village of same name. Halfway between Brecon and Swansea

I have heard that the rooms are good. The food definitely is!

Brecon Beacons...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: location recommendation

Why don't you check out www.breconcottages.com

They have a large selection of self catering properties that covers all of the areas you're interested in. Give them a call or email them and i'm sure they'd be happy to help you select something.

Good pubs in the area:

The Griffin, Felin Fach - my favourite!

The Star Inn, Talybont-on-Usk

Three Horse Shoes, Groesffordd

The White Swan, Llanfrynach

The Cennen Arms, Trapp

The Neuadd Arms, Cilycwm

The Bear, Crickhowell

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: location recommendation

Can't recommend the Castle Inn just outside Talgarth highly enough for walkers. Walks are fantstic - don't miss the fort/castle ruins. Wholesome food (we loved the steaks seved on hot stones) and a great bar. We camped but the people who stayed in the rooms above were really happy. They also have a bunk house which isn't really my cup of smelly feet tea. Landlord was really helpful. http://www.thecastleinn.co.uk/

Edited: 3:27 pm, February 26, 2013
Cardiff Wales
Level Contributor
6 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: location recommendation

There are some great places to stay in the Brecon area e.g. Peterstone Court and Gliffaes Hotel also some great places to eat: in addition to the above two there are .The Griffin at Felinfach, the Bear in Crickhowell and best of all the Crown Inn just outside Abergavenny

7. Re: location recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 am, December 02, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Brecon Beacons...
More Brecon Beacons National Park Topics
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question