We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow at christmas?

rockhampton
Level Contributor
119 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Snow at christmas?

We are an Australian family living in London for 12mths, would like to have a white Christmas. Have looked at ski resorts in Europe but seems a lot of money to pay especially for a non skier...

Is Snowdonia an option worth considering? Not really equipped to do hikes, so really just looking for snow and place to stay in or near town.

Mentioned in this post
Living in London
Living in London
116 Reviews
Madrid, Spain
Europe
Europe
World
UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
5,179 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Snow at christmas?

If you find yourself near Manchester there is indoor skiing and snowboarding.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g1020874…

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,047 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Snow at christmas?

If you want snow then you go as far north as possible - so up into the Scottish Highlands if staying in the UK.

Any further south and it's likely that there will be limited snow, if any, at Christmas though as it's the UK the usual disclaimers about British weather apply

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Snow at christmas?

Probably worth adding that, if you want snow and sun (ie some chance of catching some rays in a reasonably sheltered location with snow all around) you'd probably be better off heading South to the Alps/Pyrenees/Balkans (although anything weather-related is never guaranteed!). Aviemore etc can be snowy but bleak and freezing cold in winter and, whilst happy to be corrected by those with more experience, I imagine Finland/Norway at that time of year will be similar.

You can also ski/see snow in the Sierra Nevada (Granada, Spain) and the Troodos mountains in Cyprus.Cheap flights should be available to those 2 destinations for Christmas (nearest airport to Granada is Malaga). Further south you go, the more daylight you get and the chance of sunny weather to go with that snow.

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Granada
Granada
Province of Granada, Spain
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Colwyn Bay, North...
Level Contributor
590 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Snow at christmas?

We had snow in Snowdonia this year but unfortunately it was in March and not at Christmas. I would say we have snow every year at some point but usually on high ground. If you have a look at my Facebook account ( Anna Hamblett) under 'Snowdonia looking good today' it will give you an idea if how is looked in March this year :)

Mentioned in this post
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,387 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Snow at christmas?

I would say "ouch" to Norway on the financial front.

Some of the other suggestions that you have been given are good ones.

If I could afford it, I would opt for Switzerland every time if I was looking for snow. A close second would be the French Alps.

The trouble with snow in the UK is it can't be guaranteed for people such as yourselves who wish to see it. It can land any time or even not at all. We British are all very happy if we don't see any because it causes chaos and especially on roads. It is not as idylic as you might think.

Mentioned in this post
Liverpool
Level Contributor
489 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Snow at christmas?

http://www.llansadwrn-wx.info/ice/snow.html

I think this will give you a pretty good idea of how much snow there is in Snowdonia. By the looks of it, only a couple of days all last winter that there was snow lying on the ground below 500 feet.

Edited: 7:13 pm, October 21, 2013
Mentioned in this post
17. Re: Snow at christmas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 23, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Snowdonia National Park