We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Conwy Castle, Suspension Bridge, Walls

Sydney
Level Contributor
470 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Conwy Castle, Suspension Bridge, Walls

Hello all!

If staying - and parking - at the Conwy YHA, Larkhill on Sychnant Pass Road (which is said to be a 10min walk from Conwy Castle), what would be our best 'strategy' for seeing the castle, the suspension bridge and taking a walk on the old city walls?

Unfortunately, we will probably be arriving in Conwy only in the early afternoon and the bridge and castle are apparently only open to 17:00. Given our late arrival I'm guessing that the bridge should be our first stop, then as much of the castle as we can manage before it closes and then the walls.

Is access to the city walls closed at some point in the evening? If not, then, given that the sun sets rather late in August, it would make for a pleasant pre-dinner stroll. If entry to the walls is restricted at night, when do they re-open? If early we may be able to fit this in prior to next day departure for Liverpool.

I've read that access to the walls walk is through 1-2 particular entry/exit ways? Where are they in relation to the castle and our accomodation?

Thanks in Advance,

CP

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Conwy Castle, Suspension Bridge, Walls

Can't comment on the opening times of castle or suspension bridge, but if I remember correctly I believe the majority of the wall remains open and doesn't get closed. The only section that closes is the connection to the castle which would be open the same time as the castle. Which you only gain access to once you have paid to go into the castle.

Both exits on the walk are roughly the same distance to your hostel, so don't worry too much in the direction you travel.

Castle is open until 6pm but you must be in 30mins prior

Bridge is separate admission I believe

Thanks

Cheshire - England
Level Contributor
657 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Conwy Castle, Suspension Bridge, Walls

Can I suggest that you do it in this order. You will walk down the hill from the YHA and if I was you I would then go and see the castle first. If you have time then go and walk over the old bridge BUT if you do not don't worry.

The bridge that was built to replace the old one is right next to it and you can walk over this and get a very good view of the old bridge.

Yes this is not as nice as actually walking over the old bridge but that will be all that you are missing you will still to see it.

While others may correct me and think the walls are never shut so you can then go and walk round them.

3. Re: Conwy Castle, Suspension Bridge, Walls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 29, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Snowdonia National Park