We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking up Snowdon with baby on back in July - possible?

England
Level Contributor
410 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Walking up Snowdon with baby on back in July - possible?

Hi, we would very much appreciate your expert advice before we commit ourselves to this.

My partner and are thinking of climbing Snowdon in July. We are both fairy fit and in our mid 30s and do enjoy a walk in the country side although its always been on a flat well marked path. We have a baby and she'll be 14 month (about 8.5kg) in July and we wanted to climb Snowdon with baby in Ergo carrier (which is sturdy and our baby had no prob going on a long walk in it). We have no experience of walking up a mountain though.

Obviously Llanberies path is the easiest way but We really wanted to try Rhyd Ddu Path and Ranger's path but information seems to be confusing - some web site seems to they are easy to do, some others seems to suggest it can become rocky and difficult.

Could anyone help clarify?

England
Level Contributor
410 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Walking up Snowdon with baby on back in July - possible?

Sorry, you are quite right Parry.

I think I'll go with the majority of the advice but I might have a go at doing it solo in June! Thanks everyone for their advice :)

32. Re: Walking up Snowdon with baby on back in July - possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 pm, January 16, 2013
Athens, Ohio
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
33. Re: Walking up Snowdon with baby on back in July - possible?

Hi,

Interesting discussion. I hope that you take your kid someplace this summer. I also hope that some of the tongue lashing doesn't scare you off from hiking/walking with you kid. When my son was 12 months we did a series of hikes in Australia including backcrounty camping. When our second was just walking we went hiking in Thailand (indeed he learned how to really waddle on those hikes). At three they were walking the trails of Borneo. And you know what? They had a great time, were safe, got loads of attention and are now developing into amazing teens (of course I am Mom...). Be safe, be smart but you can still have amazing adventures!!

England
Level Contributor
410 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Walking up Snowdon with baby on back in July - possible?

Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice. We've now booked a lovely cottage in Snowdonia for June and decided its best for my partner to take the baby up on the train, and my dad and I to attempt the walk.

We still go hill walking around where we live and our baby still loves going into the baby carrier - we did a 3 hour walk last week and you could see she was intrigued by the scenery (although she fell asleep being rocked as she often does). Will definitely take her for small walks around snowdonia when we go, but perhaps on a smaller flatter route!

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Walking up Snowdon with baby on back in July - possible?

That sounds like a good plan. Hope the weather is good for your trip.

Sutton Coldfield...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Walking up Snowdon with baby on back in July - possible?

Crikey, if it makes you feel better, my friends and I are doing it with a baby this summer. I think it's a wonderful idea and wanted to give you a positive response as none of the above seem to be! Go for it and if the weather looks bad or it becomes tiresome, go back down. We don't half pamper ourselve in the good old Great Britain! People live in the moutains you know, have babies there all the time, honestly! You'll be fine ts hardly Everest! xx

37. Re: Walking up Snowdon with baby on back in July - possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 15, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Snowdonia National Park