We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dog Friendly or just pretending to be?!

West Sussex
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Dog Friendly or just pretending to be?!

Some cottages say they are 'dog-friendly' but then stipulate that even with a throw on the sofa, dogs must stay on the floor. Ever tried keeping a greyhound off a sofa?!!! They are true couch potatoes.

Do people know of cottages with an enclosed garden and no steep, winding stairs that are REALLY dog friendly and where the owners want the dogs to enjoy themselves too. We have got so stressed in the past trying to keep our 2 off the sofa.

Thank you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dog Friendly or just pretending to be?!

i will send you a message about this.

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,779 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dog Friendly or just pretending to be?!

Not in snowdonia. Any interest in the Scottish border regions?

Llanberis, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Dog Friendly or just pretending to be?!

Hi, have you looked at Quality Cottages Wales agency at all? Rather than go through the whole site give them a ring and tell them that you dont want a cottage with any kind of restrictions.

They have some beautiful cottages that accept pets. We let our cottage but also do not allow pets in the cottage main I'm afraid. Understand completely re Greyhounds and sofas, had a Deerhound once and was lucky to be allowed a small corner or edge to sit down on! :)

Edited: 4:30 am, May 06, 2012
Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Dog Friendly or just pretending to be?!

I think that as long as you clean up any hair and marks it shouldn't be a problem. We just stayed at a house with our two cats, one of which is shedding his winter coat, we just made sure we de furred everywhere!

Llanberis, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Dog Friendly or just pretending to be?!

Have to add here that they also don't allow pets on furniture, the reason being that many other potential guests and non pet owners wouldn't appreciate sharing their beds and soft furnishings with a menagerie of animals.

They offer top quality facilities and do specialize in ensuring that the guests are made to feel as welcome as possible within certain confines. They have many happy pet owning guests returning year after year as a result of careful fine tuning of everyone's needs.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dog Friendly or just pretending to be?!

I'm very dog-friendly, but I can't abide them climbing on furniture and don't see why any other guests would have to put up with pet hair, dirt, wet dog smell and fleas from previous canine occupants. Most dog owners I know keep dogs on the floor, and if we travel with the family hound the dog's mat/bed comes with him.

England
Level Contributor
520 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dog Friendly or just pretending to be?!

Dogs should not be on furnishings! Think of the poor guests who come after you. From a dog lover and owner.

West Sussex
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dog Friendly or just pretending to be?!

Thank you so much to everyone for their replies. There is a lot of evidence to suggest that dogs suffer a lot of stress when the rules at home change for a week. We simply want to let them have fun and I agree with those of you who use throws and de-fur afterwards. Greyhounds have so little fur, there is not much to come out anyway!!.

West Sussex
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dog Friendly or just pretending to be?!

will look, thank you!

Aberdyfi...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dog Friendly or just pretending to be?!

Just read your post!

We have 7 dog friendly properties, one of these is a cottage with enclosed rear garden. We have lots of dog owners staying with us. We do ask that the dogs do not go on the furniture, especially beds as it takes a lot longer to service the property afterwards, and we have had to lint roller every piece of bed linen, on some occasions which all adds to the servicing costs. However, if your dogs are used to going on the furniture at home, then you cannot expect them not to do this away from homeSo if you provide clean throws for the sofas, then we would not have an issue with this. Just not on the beds thanks. Take a look at our site www.aberdoveycottages.co.uk for more info on pet friendly in Aberdovey!

Get answers to your questions about Snowdonia National Park