We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed fleshing out a 4-day North Wales trip

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Help needed fleshing out a 4-day North Wales trip

Hi,

I am planning a four day trip to North Wales for July. I have a vague itinerary in mind but it could do with a bit of fleshing out, as I think there will be some spare time to fill currently. We're arriving on Friday afternoon and spending the first night in Betws-y-Coed.

Friday - Check out the Fairy Glen and Conwy Falls in the area around Betws.

Saturday - Drive out to Llyn Ogwen and maybe do a bit of walking (we can't do any serious walks sadly as a) my wife has dodgy knees and b) I'll have the toddler in a baby carrier). Then I thought we'd carry on the Llanberis and have a look round the slate museum, which seems to get good reviews on here.

I don't know how long we're likely to spend in the slate museum but I suspect there will be some time to fill in the afternoon and evening here. I had thought about perhaps setting out on a Llyn peninsula circuit and staying somewhere along there on Saturday night. Is that a good idea? If so, does anyone have any recommendations for somewhere to stop for the night?

On Sunday I figured we'd take a trip to Portmeirion, and have a ride on the Ffestiniog Railway. Again, with it getting dark very late now, there may be some time to fill in the evening so I'm open to suggestions! We're staying in Rowen on Sunday night so perhaps something in the Conwy area if there's time?

Monday I figured we'd go for a walk, have a couple of drinks and some lunch at the Groes Inn, then set off for home in the afternoon. We'd have time for one more activity here I suspect but I'd want to be off by about 4pm at the latest.

Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Pembrokeshire, Wales
Level Contributor
521 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Help needed fleshing out a 4-day North Wales trip

Nothing wrong with Travelodges and Colwyn Bay used to be a wonderful holiday resort until they dumped the expressway in the middle of town but it still has a glorious bay and beach. Rhos on Sea still has a very popular playground and paddling pool for small children.

Tralee, Ireland
Level Contributor
149 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Help needed fleshing out a 4-day North Wales trip

Just saw your final itinerary and it look great. While you are in the Rowen area near Conwy, can I also recommend a visit to the Conwy Water Gardens at Rowen (www.conwywatergardens.co.uk). There is a fantastic selection of fish and small reptiles to look at as well as a lovely Duck pond with some lovely otters in residence also. You can't leave the gardens without sampling something from their pancake house - their food is absolutely gorgeous and the staff are really lovely. We are Irish and have holidayed in North Wales for the past couple of years, and always return for the restaurant alone. Enjoy your trip!

ada
cardiff
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Help needed fleshing out a 4-day North Wales trip

Agree, the travelodge and premier inns are good enough when travelling with kids - eg the one in Caernavon is in a nice spot next to marina/view over to anglesey. And what you save on accomodation you can spend on the boat trip etc! Have a great weekend, it might even be half decent weather if you go b4 15th. Mind you , the rain is what makes it a 'green and pleasant land' and the Llyn peninsula has some spectacular views with the rain clouds rolling over.

Edited: 7:05 pm, June 18, 2011
Cymru
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Help needed fleshing out a 4-day North Wales trip

When you get into Blaenau Ffestiniog check out Cellb Arts Centre, its based in the Town's Old police station & county court room! It has a caffe-bar too & sunday its 'Sunday Social days', food & drink, sunday paper & silent films in the Caffe-bar & Classic Films screened in the yee old court room ;-)

kicks off 18 July .... www.cellb.org

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Help needed fleshing out a 4-day North Wales trip

Thanks for the tips since I last posted. Hopefully the nice weather will hold out!

One question: on the Ffestiniog Railway, I was thinking of being a bit cheeky and buying one ticket, then having my wife take our boy on the first leg while I drive to Blaenau Ffestiniog, then we swap over and I do the return leg.

Is that going to feasible or will I definitely need two tickets?

16. Re: Help needed fleshing out a 4-day North Wales trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 pm, October 02, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Snowdonia National Park