We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from Dublin to Holyhead?

Which Holyhead hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
218 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry from Dublin to Holyhead?

I am wondering if there are two ferries between Dublin and Holyhead, Wales. I see people refer to a 90 min ride each way and on the Ferry web site, it refers to 3 1/2 hours each way. If this 90 minute ride exists, would it be reasonable to go over for the day returning to Dublin in the evening.

Thanks, Mona

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry from Dublin to Holyhead?

there are two ferry operators on this route, Irish ferries and Stena line, each has one large ship which takes 3.5 hours and a couple of fast catamarans which take 90 mins, if you book the fast cats and there arent many passengers, or if the weather is at all iffy they are cancelled and you are transferred on to the larger ship.

It is perfectly feasible to go to Dublin for the day, but be aware that the fast cats can be cancelled at short notice.

Seattle
Level Contributor
218 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry from Dublin to Holyhead?

Thanks for the clarification. If they did cancel, would they transfer you to the larger, slower ferries. I guess I had better check schedules to make sure the larger ferries have a later crossing than the fast catarmarans in case of cancellations. Thanks for the good advice. Mona

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry from Dublin to Holyhead?

yes if the fast cats(also known as sick cats for reasons I wont go into) are cancelled you are put on the next slow ferry, usually a couple of hours later.

The large ferries go out and back twice a day.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,271 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry from Dublin to Holyhead?

What do you want to see in Wales? There isn't much in Holyhead itself but obviously that doesn't speak for the whole of Wales if that is what you are going over for . I normally go on the larger ferries and avoid the fast ones, but that';s just my personal preference.

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry from Dublin to Holyhead?

Just to clarify things slightly Stena has 2 conventional ferries running between Holyhead & Dublin & a large fast craft that runs between Holyhead & Dun Laoghaire,a short scenic train ride from Dublin,this fast cat tends to sail in worse weather than many but,I think only makes one round trip a day,Irish Ferries has one conventional ferry & one fast craft which both sail between Holyhead & Dublin.

I have tried to plan a day return from where I live in Cheshire but have found train times not fitting in with ferry times,the afternoon sailing from Dublin with Stena does not take foot passengers & generally the arrival time in Dublin being too close to the departure time from Dublin,I keep trying!

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,244 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry from Dublin to Holyhead?

Nothing much in Holyhead. But if you were to take the IF Swift sailing at eight fortyfive it would get you into Holyhead at ten fortyfive. From Holyhead you can take a bus to the pretty town of Beaumaris for lunch and a little sightseeing, before making your way back to Holyhead. The evening IF Swift sailing departs at seventeen fifteen and gets into Dublin at nineteen fifteen.

www.irishferries.com

Wales
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry from Dublin to Holyhead?

I'd like to think that Mona has a personal interest in visiting Anglesey http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglesey :-)

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,271 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry from Dublin to Holyhead?

That does look a pretty little place to visit :) Will have to keep that place in mind.

9. Re: Ferry from Dublin to Holyhead?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, July 26, 2013