We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting out of Holyhead on a Sunday- without costing 2 much!

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Getting out of Holyhead on a Sunday- without costing 2 much!

I had originally planned, from getting to Holyhead from a Dublin ferry at 10.45 on a Sunday (10 July 2011), to drive from Holyhead to York, where I've booked accommodation for the night.

I've gone to book car hire but for any of the major car hire companies there's either none in the area or they are closed on a Sunday!

Could someone please tell me what my options are? The whole point of getting the ferry (which I've also booked) was so I could do a scenic drive, perhaps going through Snowdonia, Caenarfon etc and back up to York. I've checked trains and they are quite expensive, about 67 pounds per person. A train to Chester and then a coach worked out around the same.

I've also considered hiring a car from Dublin and taking it on the ferry but I'm either not allowed to as it's not in the same country, or they aren't open on the Saturday afternoon/night when I need it ( I didn't want to have it for more than 24 hours).

Please help! Thanking you in advance for your comments.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Chester
Chester
Cheshire, UK
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
32,290 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting out of Holyhead on a Sunday- without costing 2 much!

Train would appear to be your only option www.nationalrail.co.uk

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting out of Holyhead on a Sunday- without costing 2 much!

Hi

Try playing about with your Train Tickets ie I just checked Holyhead to Manchester £13 single Manchester to York £7 single total £20 ( Thats UK rail fares for you ) you need to book at least 21 days in advance. Beaware that Sunday services are not the best and you may have to wait a bit for connections.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Pembrokeshire, Wales
Level Contributor
551 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting out of Holyhead on a Sunday- without costing 2 much!

If you wait until 14.30 the train to York will cost £29, later on in the afternoon the fare is £18

Mentioned in this post
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting out of Holyhead on a Sunday- without costing 2 much!

Thanks to all who posted- much appreciated. Looks like I will be training it!

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
745 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting out of Holyhead on a Sunday- without costing 2 much!

I've taken the train along that route a few times and it can be quite scenic, both of Snowdonia, North Wales coast and mountains, but also past Manchester into the Peaks and on through Yorkshire. You see views that you never see gong by car, as the motorway obscures the view! Conversely the view of Saddleworth Moor is better from the Motorway as the train goes under it via a tunnel!

If you really wanted to take the time, you could take the train on a detour around North Wales. Go to Caenarfon from Holyhead and then take the Welsh Mountain Railway to Portmadog and then the Festiniog railway to the Conwy valley line! You would really see the mountains of North Wales, but you'd probably need to be a train enthusiast to spend the day doing that!

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Yorkshire
Yorkshire
England, UK
North Wales
North Wales
Wales, UK
Conwy
Conwy
Conwy County, UK
Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting out of Holyhead on a Sunday- without costing 2 much!

Hi Ned

Thanks so much, I hadn't thought of it like that!

I'm just having a look at the rail map now... do you know if there is a direct link from Holyhead to Caenarfon? Or are you meaning get the bus from Holyhead there?

nationalrail.co.uk/passenger_services/maps/n…

Ta

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
503 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting out of Holyhead on a Sunday- without costing 2 much!

<<Train would appear to be your only option >.>

Not so - Eurolines operate an overnight coach service from Dublin to Leeds which may well be your cheapest option but you would miss out on the scenic drive through North Wales and would have to endure an overnight coach journey.

Edited: 2:44 am, May 24, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Leeds
Leeds
West Yorkshire, UK
North Wales
North Wales
Wales, UK
8. Re: Getting out of Holyhead on a Sunday- without costing 2 much!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 pm, June 18, 2012