We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sail / Rail from London Euston to Holyhead to Dublin??

Which Holyhead hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sail / Rail from London Euston to Holyhead to Dublin??

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are from Australia and we have planned to travel to Ireland for a week in early Dec. However we have a big headache on how to organize our transportation. We hope to get the 12.00 Dublin Swift ferry from Holyhead to Dublin but not sure what time train to choose in London Euston station . Do you think the 7.10 am train will be on time to reach Holyhead for us to check in for the ferry?

Read a lot on the weather during winter period. Is there a problem traveling by ferry?

Please advise. Thanks

Edited: 3:21 am, May 16, 2011
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Sail / Rail from London Euston to Holyhead to Dublin??

Hi everyone,

Thank you once again for the advice. Will definitely look into the recommended website.

Regards,

dolphin2888

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
22 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Sail / Rail from London Euston to Holyhead to Dublin??

Hi there,

All the information about SailRail tickets are available on the arriva trains wales website http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/sailrail.

Most trains conntect to ferry sailings in Holyhead and Fishguard. You can buy tickets using arriva trains wales online booking system however tickets are only available 12 weeks in advance due to timetabling and reservations on the train and ferries.

You only pay for the price of the ticket and there's no booking or credit card fees buying with atw.

In terms of trains and ferries operating in December: snow or freezing condition don't usually affect ferries and trains. Just make sure you book 12 weeks in advance as tickets sell otu quickly due to people travelling back to Ireland for Christmas.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Sail / Rail from London Euston to Holyhead to Dublin??

Hi telerijj,

Thanks for your info. Will look at the website.

Regards,

dolphin2888

Anglesey, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Sail / Rail from London Euston to Holyhead to Dublin??

Hi-The 0710 train will get you to Holyhead for 11.30.Now the problem is, Will the irish ferries fast cat be running during winter.if it is you will make it. If it is not,then there is plenty of back-up. The stenaline ferry will go at 13.50 but this is not same ticket as the fast cat service so be careful. If the stena ferry should fail then the irish ferries Ulyses always runs at 14.30.Unless there is a storm,in which case the fast cat is the first to stop then you will not be stranded because the ulyses always runs,Its huge. Dont forget the combined cheap inclusive ticket you can get at euston for the total trip.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Sail / Rail from London Euston to Holyhead to Dublin??

Hi brimwit,

Thanks for your info.My husband and I have intended to take the 12.00 noon Dublin Swift ferry but worry that we can't make it on time as we need to search for the port. It is stated that we need to check in 30 minutes before departure. Do you mean that if I miss the 12.00 ferry then we can take the Ulysses 14.30 even though I have chosen the Swift ferry.

Is it advisable to purchase the ticket ready online from Australia or wait till we arrive in UK? We will arrive on 4th Dec night and plan to travel to Ireland on 6th Dec morning . Which is better Irish ferry or Stenaline ferry?

Thanks!

dolphin2888

16. Re: Sail / Rail from London Euston to Holyhead to Dublin??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, May 20, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Holyhead