We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

holyhead

Which Holyhead hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fairbanks
2 posts
Save Topic
holyhead

Has anyone slept at either train station or ferry terminal during that 3-4 hour wait in middle of night on way to and from Dublin/London.. I was considering it with my teenage kids... am I crazy

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: holyhead

No, but I cannot imagine it's any fun (assuming the terminal/station is open all night - they may not be).

Why don't you take a daytime crossing or fly?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: holyhead

I've never been at the station or port at that time of night but I've been there plenty of times during the day. Safety has never been an issue during the daytime but still it's not the most pleasant of places. There's a Travelodge hotel nearby - clean modern budget hotel chain. You may be able to get a room there for as little as £19 depending on your dates. Or there's a few B&Bs with prices around £25-£40 that are in walking distance too.

Change your plans and get a decent night's sleep. You'll then enjoy the rest of the day much more.

Anglesey, Wales
Level Contributor
89 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: holyhead

I can tell you now, Holyhead station is always a windy place, and whilst there are covered areas around the ferry terminal, it's not really something I'd advise. The terminal is often used as a short cut across town with the new footbridge in place, and all manner of people pass through, especially around pub closing time on the weekend

As an earlier post mentioned, there's a travelodge within 200 metres of the station, get a room for £19, you'll be warmer, out of the usual rain, and a damn site safer.

Anglesey, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: holyhead

Hi-No youre not crazy,too glum a picture is painted.

Answer-Train station,-NO.

Ferry terminal,-OK.Its a modern terminal with sit-up chairs,but no benches,should be open all night as departing ferries at 3am mean other people passing through. You wont be able to sleep because of this and of course lights but at least its warm and dry and clean.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,729 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: holyhead

I am a little confused here. Why the 3-4 hours wait? If you are using Irish Ferries how do Stena fit in time wise and visa versa. Consider the Dun Laoghaire route which might fit between. If all else fails get a room at Travelodge at least you might get some shut eye and not be forced to watch Sky News half the night in there then the same on the Ferry.

Holyhead, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: holyhead

I take it you are coming out of Dublin on the Stena Adventurer sailing at 21:15 and arriving in Holyhead just after midnight?

Get an earlier sailing. Have a look at the Stena HSS sailing from Dun Laoghaire to Holyhead.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: holyhead

#6, OP's query was dated March 29 - he/she may have already travelled. Ferry terminal and train station at Holyhead are within the same building but I agree with suggestions to book a ferry with better connections, timetable for sail / rail: http://www.seat61.com/Ireland.htm

8. Re: holyhead

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 25, 2011