We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Anglesey

Manchester
4 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Anglesey

Hi Im thinking of visiting Anglesey for a short holiday in a few weeks. Having been to Wales quite a few times but not to Anglesey I don't know that much about the place, apart from what I have read in brochures. I am thinking of visiting Benllech, from what I have read it apears to be a puopular place and the Red Wharf Bay looks fantastic. Has anyone been to Benllech and what do you think of it, and are there any other great places on the island?

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
644 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Anglesey

Beaumaris has a lovely castle. And the beach at Newborough Warren is fantastic. It is very large so it doesn't get that crowded. At low tide you can walk to Ynys Llanddwyn. bbc.co.uk/wales/…newborough.shtml

There is the sea zoo at Brynsiencyn if you fancy a wet weather activity.

You can take a boat trip to see puffin island http://www.starida.co.uk/puffin-island.htm

I've done this and it was really nice.

South Stack up near Holyhead is also very good rspb.org.uk/reserves/…index.asp There is an RSPB reserve there and there are walks you can go on. The actual lighthouse has been opened to visitors.

Manchester
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Anglesey

Thanks for your ideas gecko77, it looks like there is going to be good weather in the next two weeks so I might go up then and I'm looking forward to visiting.

I think I will either go as planned up North to Traeth Coch, or go to Holyhead as these are the best places where transport is concerned. Trearddur bay looks a place beach but juging from the size does this get quite crowded?

Anglesey, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Anglesey

Hi--Not quite sure what your mode of transport is ?. If you are camping then St. davids camp& carravanan park at red wharf bay is probably the best or near to it on the island. Its right on the beach with club house etc. No shops at red wharf but there is at Benllech only 2 mls. away. If you are on the buses then pick up an island

timetable and you can ride around all day for £5 on a day rover ticket.

visit Beaumaris with its castle, Newborough Forrest beach for its wildness, ent.£3. but lovely for picnicking and walk to the lighthouse cottages there. Also as previously mentioned Trearrdur Bay, and South stack Lighthouse.

Manchester
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Anglesey

Im going by train as far as Bangor, then bus from there, im doing as you stated and buying a day saver for five pounds and use this to get to Benllech. And if I have time explore other places using the day ticket. If I can get to the bus station in Bangor in the space of 5 minutes from the train station, i can make an earlier bus. I have been told that it takes one minute to get from the train to the bus station according to traveline, does anyone know how far the main bus station is from Bangor railway station?

Anglesey, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Anglesey

Yes--Time for walk Bangor trains to bus stn. 10-15 mins. Its about 1 mile, but why worry, buses to Benllech [ie.amlych No.62] every 30mins. throughout the day.You will need a timetable from the office there anyway. Once on the island the changing point for many services is at Menai bridge.ie. for Beaumaris and Island south.

The irony is at Bangor the bus comes back past the train stn on its way.[see bus stop at traffic lights,stn entrance,[.

6. Re: Visiting Anglesey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, September 01, 2009